perfect..

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

perfect..

Postby petepete » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:31 am

Hi folks,

new here,

just bought an 08 full history 25,000 mile example in showroom condition and as much as i wanted to avoid a gold one, the colour is growing on me ! Still on original tyres and brakes and its good to see although the tyres are ready on the front, the brake pads wont want doing for ages !

coming out of a civic diesel, first impressions are boy is this a nice comfy relaxed ride despite the scuttle shake which came as a shock it was that bad on my local roads and takes some getting used to - but.. Give me scuttle shake every time over the harsh jarring ride of the civic !

Everything works fine having had a oh my god the roof is knackered moment until i realised the cargo height thing had to be over before the roof comes down !

The car had an mpg average over the entire 25k miles of 47mpg and now i have reset it and done all town driving the figure is alarmingly low despite being gentle with the car and if i m honest, having had an 05 plate hatchback megane dci 100 i have to say thus far i am a little disapointed and didnt expect a figure well below 40 mpg... :hm

Is this low figure normal in real life rather than what renault claim ?

Took a picture of the dirtiest thing on the car with the cover removed !

https://screencast.com/t/SoMsgyNjq

Only job i m doing on the car is a wind deflector and i have just bought 2 pespex number plate "fronts" to do the job and am aiming for a more factory fitted look than whats been done before.. (now done and fitted, see plaxiglass thread )
Last edited by petepete on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: perfect..

Postby Stranger » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:35 pm

I think the answer is in your question ........ "all town driving" ...... some A roads, motorways and less stop start driving that you encounter in towns should see that figure rise.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane cc

Postby Meganeccdarren » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Give it a good thrashing down the motorway. It will improve

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:18 pm

1 other mod ...

Its having a remote controled diesel erbespacher 5k engine / cabin heater for nice warm defrosted winter morning starts :hug

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 am

petepete wrote:1 other mod ...

Its having a remote controled diesel erbespacher 5k engine / cabin heater for nice warm defrosted winter morning starts :hug

Oooo, nice. Being a desel driver I look forward to a report :tu

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Stranger wrote:

I started a new thread on it in "modifications"

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:55 pm

petepete wrote:
Stranger wrote:

I started a new thread on it in "modifications"

Seen it, cheers :tu

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:05 pm

back to my dissapointing mpg figure..

I have discovered they used 10w 40 oil at the last service 1500 miles ago as well as previous years.

Going to pop the drain plug and use 5w 30 and see how much it improves.

welshwizard

Postby welshwizard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:43 am

petepete wrote:back to my dissapointing mpg figure..

I have discovered they used 10w 40 oil at the last service 1500 miles ago as well as previous years.

Going to pop the drain plug and use 5w 30 and see how much it improves.

eeerrr NO

10w40 is the correct oil

you can use 5w40,

but please don't use 5w30 as it is too thin for you engine

if the oil and filters (air, fuel and oil) are all changed at the correct time (18k or 2 years unless in harsh climates) and there are no faults with you car (not all ecu engine faults put the engine light on) perhaps look at the way you drive. Having left the motortrade 9 years ago and gone into haulage we had a fleet of 10 identical trucks but had mpg figures that went from 6-10mpg! yes that different! after lots of education it changed to 7.4-11mpg range

I also used to work on a scenic 1.6, that was always in for Bad mpg. the lady of the house could never get it above 28mpg, while the husband was 42mpg! the wife only ever went to the shops through the middle of the town centre, and the husband??? the golf course in the next town!

welshwizard

Postby welshwizard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 am

to also add, I have a 1.5 80 in a scenic.

around town its usually 38-40 if I'm really careful

but my wife does near 100 miles a day in it..... 64mpg!

the megane is a heavy car for a small engine!!!!

mitachu
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megan CC Dynamique

Postby mitachu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:10 pm

What's scuttle shake?

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:33 pm

mitachu wrote:What's scuttle shake?

It's the shake you get whist driving with the roof down as the car moves due to no structure of the roof keeping the car stable or "twisting",
I'm sure you will feel it as you drive sometimes

Darren

mitachu
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megan CC Dynamique

Postby mitachu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Does it kick in around 40 to 50 mph?

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Can vary on road and speed
Darren

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:43 am

Probably a month i ve had the car now and i have concluded it fits into family life well when kids are above car seat age.

I managed 59 mpg with the cruise set at 74mph, a half hour crawling on the m6 and 45 minutes with the roof down on country lanes over a 200 mile run there and back - and am now getting 42mpg crawling around town. :-)

The only thing i find not to like about the cc is the dificulty in buying a good example - in 2 months sifting through autotrader,ebay and piston heads i only saw 2 outstanding examples below £5k and the majotity described as good condition were a crock of s..t that i knew would cause any buyer problems if they didnt have them already ! ( one i viewed had a wing 10mm proud and out of line with the body work not to mention mat black touched up all over a gloss body and the entire chasis twisted due to previous acident damage - obvious from the door shut lines out by 10 mm on the opposite side... sold for £3900 on ebay, but the crazy thing is who ever won the auction actually turned up and bought it ! )

bide your time, buy with the head not heart and be prepared to pay the extra £1k or so above the average £3 k mark for a pristine example that has led a sheltered life rather than think a lower price is a bargain and have ownership leave a bitter taste of countless problems :wink:

Return to “Megane CC”