New CC owner, got some vague questions

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mitachu
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megan CC Dynamique

New CC owner, got some vague questions

Postby mitachu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi,

I've got a few questions about the Megane CC as I recently bought a 2006 model and could do with some clarification on a few things.

1. Petrol consumption. It seems a little high. I reckon I can get perhaps 350 miles out of a tank? Is this about normal for you guys?
2. When the roof and windows all down and I drove at above 40mph, the drive felt really quite bumpy. Is this normal? I've read some stuff about wind buffeting and so forth and this is the first convertible that I've ever driven so I don't really know the benchmark for this sort of driving experience.
3. What's the best way to keep the seals in good condition? I've read some stuff about using silicon spray on the door and roof seals - Is this advisible? I saw some spray in Halfords that I might give a whirl. Is doing this actually effective?
4. I tried putting the roof down the other day and it jammed and beeped, then I had to use the electrical method in the manual to get it put back up again. Is this just one of those things that happens sometimes (I guess the roof is pretty heavy and sometimes the mechanism gets a touch out of whack) so is nothing to worry about? Or should I be looking at getting the roof examined?
5. The stereo is the Update List one and I've got the stock 6x CD changer as well. I know I can get an AUX lead for this stereo but can this be used alongside the CD changer, or does it replace it? I want to keep the changer if possible.

Hopefully some of you guys can answer those...... I look forward to some enlightenment!!

Cheers, and bring on the sunny weather.

Tim.

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: New CC owner, got some vague questions

Postby joeishmather » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi,
As I dont have a cc most of the questions I cant answer, however I do know that unfortunately its either the cd changer or aux cable as they both make use of the same connection into the radio, I gave up the changer for aux cable.

Welcome to the forum and to megane ownership!!

mitachu
Learner Driver

Postby mitachu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Shame it's not the answer I was hoping for.....!! Thanks anyway.

macondo
Currently Drives:: Megane CC CDi 2.o, Smart ForTwo Coupe

Postby macondo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:05 am

mitachu wrote:3. What's the best way to keep the seals in good condition? I've read some stuff about using silicon spray on the door and roof seals - Is this advisible? I saw some spray in Halfords that I might give a whirl. Is doing this actually effective?

Halford's silicon spray does the job. I was able to eliminate a minor driver's window leak with just one application. I have been told that 'silicon grease' is very good and it can be found at a plumber shop.
Last edited by macondo on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:29 pm

mitachu wrote:
1. Petrol consumption. It seems a little high. I reckon I can get perhaps 350 miles out of a tank? Is this about normal for you guys.

You have the 1.6, the cc is quite a heavy car so I wouldn't expect economy to be great. Work it out in mpg - next time you fill up brim it and take a note of litres, convert to gallons then next time you fill up note how many miles you've done and work it out, let us know.

I had the 1.6 but wish I'd had the 2.0.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

sparky46
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC 2ltr Dynamique Auto

Postby sparky46 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi, quick reply for a couple of your questions. Mine is a 2.0 dynamique 2008 model. You do get a bit of buffeting above 50mph. I usually have the windows up around or above this speed. Roof and windows down around town is great but not at fast speeds. If you go on a long drive I recommend getting a wind deflector that fits behind the front seats otherwise your left arm will be that cold it wants to drop off. (The wind tends to blow between the seats). This is no good if anybody wants to sit in the back as it covers the back seats. My kids used to freeze in the back. They've got their own cars now so it's just me and the wife. Driving at 70 with this is great. You do have to have the windows up though. Petrol consumption around now (Cold weather) knocking round town can be as low as 19mpg. Usually it's around 25+mpg and most I had driving carefully to Skegness in the summer was 43mpg.
I've had no faults with the roof apart from it leaking when it was new (Fixed by Renault). You do get the odd thing on the dash (Select Park usually as its an automatic) if you open the door when the roof is still going back up.
Otherwise, enjoy it whenever you can. Been out today with the roof down. The sun was out so why not. Waste of money otherwise.

mitachu
Learner Driver

Postby mitachu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 pm

cheers for the response.

I went out today with the windows up and the hot air blowers on, and it was great. Will definitely be looking into a deflector though.
The buffeting seemed to be worse around 50 mph but once I hit 70 it was not even noticeable. I will get onto the silicon spray in the week and give the seals a once over. The roof was fine today, it opened and closed without fault.

Oh, and I found a company that can provide a seven quid cable that allows use of the cd changer with the aux input as well.

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm

mitachu wrote:5. The stereo is the Update List one and I've got the stock 6x CD changer as well. I know I can get an AUX lead for this stereo but can this be used alongside the CD changer, or does it replace it? I want to keep the changer if possible.

I think you should be able to keep both - I don't have a multi-changer, but I do have aux, and I still have a spare connector at the back of the radio, which I believe is for the multichanger.... I have been thinking of getting one as they're pretty cheap
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

mitachu
Learner Driver

Postby mitachu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm

yup, it appears that I can. I ordered the cable as well as a jack mount... Just wondering about the best place to put the mounted socket, hence my posting about the panel at the bottom of the centre column. If the wire can be coaxed to appear there, that would be ideal.
Assuming it all works I will post back what I did, and put some pics on here too.

sparky46
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC 2ltr Dynamique Auto

Postby sparky46 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi again. Just a note about the wind deflector. I got mine from UKNO1TUNINGSHOP on eBay. They are still £113. They don't fold into a small square like the Renault ones, just folds down flat. Good value in my opinion. I had to make a couple of longer bars that push into the side of the back passenger area as the originals didn't' seem tight enough. Still a good product though.

Return to “Megane CC”