Just put my CC through her first MOT

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Just put my CC through her first MOT

Postby Snowgirl » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Just MOTed my Megane for the first time and she passed :)
Got an advisory on rear discs which we knew may be an issue due to the previous owner hardly using the car and the discs where slightly pitted, I have brought replacement discs and pads and these will be replaced when my hubby gets round to it :-)

Also got an advisory on 1 rear tyre. I have checked my tyres and on the rear I have Continental sport contacts, 1 is almost new 8mm and other one is only 3mm? I suspect the previous owner replaced 1 tyre early due to damaged as when I purchased the car 1 alloy was badly kirbed and had a brand new tyre (I repaired the damaged alloy wheel) How many miles do you think I can get out of the 3mm tyre? I have brought a part worn Continental to match the new one which is 6mm. I'm planning on waiting untill the 8mm tyre wears down slightly to match. On the front I have cheep nasty infinity tyres that are like new 7mm, which I never would have chosen myself. I can't decide weather to use up the fronts or buy better tyres.

Also changed the numberplate to a personalized one at the weekend, so it now really looks the part :D Car looks much newer than it is anyway due to it's condition and has only covered 42k miles :-)

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Just put my CC through her first MOT

Postby morganjake1544 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 pm

I'd definitely change the 3mm tyre. Read this:-

http://www.3mmtyres.co.uk/

If you look at the tyre reviews below you may be shocked by how bad the Infinity really are. (You have to scroll down to the very last tyre!)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Renault/Megane.htm

:-(
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes, 3mm and below become unsafe in wet, and in winter they are very unsafe.

Careful with part-worn tyres, they can be damaged, repaired or just old. Rubber becomes dry after 3-4 years and does not stick to the road.

When changing tyres, always but the better ones on the rear wheels. Otherwise, the car will become unstable in slippery conditions or emergency.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Postby Snowgirl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks for that, Will defo get rear tire changed sooner rather than later

Would you bother upgrading the front tires? I only do 3-4k a year, don't drive it hard ect. So will take forever to wait for the cheep tires to wear down.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Personally I would change the front tyres.
You may be a careful driver but it only takes one idiot to pull out of a side street or one child to run into the road and then you might reflect that investing £150 in two good quality front tyres would have been a wise investment (particularly as they will last you a long time).

Tyres are a critical safety component and the one thing you should never scrimp on.

:)

Sorry for sounding like a school teacher!
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Return to “Megane CC”