fuel flap

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jordano
Currently Drives:: 2005 cabriolet diesel

fuel flap

Postby jordano » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:22 pm

had to force my fuel flap open today ,would not open when i went to refuel any ideas on the cause and possible remedy? could feel it clicking when i used the remote, but it would not open.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: fuel flap

Postby ChrisM » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:10 am

the plunger will be dirty so wont retract fully, seems to be a regular occurance you need to give it a few good squirts of pentrating lube, I used the PTFe lube with the straw on to get in and just kept sqiurting and locking and un locking eventually (half a can) it freed up enough to open the cap where you can clean it properly, you can take them out from inside the boot but it a bit of a fag to get to and twist out, as long as you can hear it working no need really to remove it if you have forced the flap open you may of broken it as it is a plastic plunger well mine is on an 04, i claen and lube it now when I go around my locks never use to and paid the price at the fuel station, luckily I had enough fuel to ge to work but the above is what our ex renault mec told me to do, and it worked.

Hope it helps

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:04 pm

mine started to be a bit temperamental. I need to unlock 8 times for it to retract completely.

Do you think WD40 will do the trick?

peter h
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique Auto

Postby peter h » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:40 pm

wanda wrote:mine started to be a bit temperamental. I need to unlock 8 times for it to retract completely.

Do you think WD40 will do the trick?

initially it will work, but as its plastic it will make it worse over time, if you have it open use some lube type spray (liquid grease that solidifies after 10/20 secs.

it will penetrate and the coat the entire thing....

WD40 is good for some stuff, bad for this unless you want to weld the thing closed over time :P

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Anything oil based will degrade the plastic (ie WD40). Silicone spray will not harm rubber or plastic parts. The previous poster has good advice.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Megane CC”