Stuttering start

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Meganemog
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane CC 1.6 VVT

Stuttering start

Postby Meganemog » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi all,

our Megane CC 1.6 Dynamique (54) is always parked on a hill with the front pointing downwards - I mention this in case it is important. When you start up from cold the engine fires up, the revs drop and it starts to stall, I prod the gas, not much happens then revs rise, car runs, then I get a petrol/catalytic style whiff. Once I start the car later on in the day I don't get the same problem. Any thoughts? Car is under warranty so I need to know if I should take it back to the garage.

Cheers,

Ben

perrythebaxter
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Sport Hatch

Re: Stuttering start

Postby perrythebaxter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I recently had my fuel filter changed due to debris in my fuel tank - a side effect has been the car now starts better than it ever did and the engine just runs so much better. Worth checking.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Stuttering start

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:41 am

I would take it back and get them to have a look under warranty, could be a sensor playing up when left over night, maybe an air temp sensor, I had a Fiat that went like this and ran awful in the mornings but fine in the afternoon change air temp sensor and it was fine, so there ya go something else to ponder on you now have two options, sounds t ome like it is running to rich in the mornings 1st thing, which would explain the fuel smell and rough running, it is dying on tickover becasue it is flooding itself.
You also could have a weak coil, which is only producing a small spark, and in the morning after a cool night along with the cold start system it may be enough to start flooding it later in the day it is not so cold so the fuel mix would be weaker than 1st thing, personally I would be inclined to look at air temp sensor myself, I would take it in, perhaps get the ECU read to see if it has produced any fault codes.

Return to “Megane CC”