new car any tips

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

drodders

new car any tips

Postby drodders » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 pm

my daughter is buying a 56 1.9 priviledge with 61000 fsh at the weekend any thing in particular to look for....cam belt, roof leaks etc...

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Re: new car any tips

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:11 am

drodders wrote:my daughter is buying a 56 1.9 priviledge with 61000 fsh at the weekend any thing in particular to look for....cam belt, roof leaks etc...

see if you can get them to change the timing belt on it. Also you might wanna find out if its a DPF model or not. Ive got one and would avoid it like the plague. Id also take it on a test drive where u can get it up to speed and listen out for rattles. My drivers door has a rattle in it and its driving me crazy. I don't know much about cars mind u but this is just what I would do if I got another megane.
:D
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Deffinatly check on Cam belt, wouldn't take his word for it, look for paperwork for this belt change, on a 2006 I am 99% sure it is DPF or FAP as I think Renault call it if you do high miles per week they are supose to be ok (Supose to BE!!), look at tyres these cars are quite hefty and love to eat tyres, pay particular attention to rears as there is no adjustment on them at all, you can get specalist shims now for them but just take a look at tyres.
Try it on full lock both ways when you do this try and make it rock a little on the suspension as it is pulling away, if you hear a grinding sound coming from the front end suspension area it will soon need a spring as this is the top mount bearing giving way which puts presure on the spring and it will snap, (had this one as well)
If you hear water swishing behind the dash on corners, it is the bulk head drain holes blocked by leaves, another common problem if lt lives under a tree, easy remidy to unblock holes
Make sure you have both key cards and they work, you can not buy a card of ebay and RE-programe it if the seller tells you this they are lieing. if the card does not open the door but starts the car this is either a battery issue or a card issue, providing it starts car you can get these cards repaired for around £25 (it will need new micro switches) I had to have one of mine done. a Key card is around £100 n somthing pounds and around a 2/3 week wait in some cases and has to be coded to your car as it is only part coded when it arrives.
Check all windows on it and roof operation, check windows go up and down off the door switch and of the center consul "all window" switch, windows will also go down and come up using the roof switch, as for leaks well they all do really in some form, just make sure it is not massive amounts, 1st place to look in under front seats, push both forward and feel under them, there is a small carpet flap under there see if you can find it to get your fingers in, to feel the underlay, water sits under these seats if you have a bad leak, other place to look is in the boot tray, lift up carpet in the boot where the spare wheel should go (CC's don't have one, they have stupid cans), and have a look in the well and a feel to see it is dry, main places they seem to leak is roof to windscreen seal in the corners by the door, there is a chanel down the pillar to remove roof water coming back from the hole there is small lip type affair this is usually the culprit, next place is the center seal where the rear quater lites are, the quaters lite on mine let in drips quite often. hope fully the car will be locked up when you get there so as soon as you open her have a good wiff, you can always spot that damp smell, unless they hang the tell tale sign of the "car air fresh" hanging from the mirror, this can hide the damp, mouldy smell rather well. best thing to do is turn up early, catch em out!
If it is the priviledge with heated seats make sure they work and the elements are not coming through the leather, NEVER kneel on these heated seats, it bends the eliments and they flex, it should be a six disc changer in it make sure it works, if it has on board sat nav again make sure it is ok and you have the disc for it as they are rathar expensive, make sure head up display is ok and displaying everything, apart from that just drive it make sure it feels ok, they are a little boaty as that glass roof does weigh a lot above you, if you are tihinking of it as a 4 person car becareful, the rear seats are a strange angle and can be uncomfortable for some people, miles of room up front none in the rear, if I get a rear seat passenger behind me I have to pull my seat right up to the steering wheel almost just to give them leg room, I am 6 foot, you have trouble making a car seat fit from 0-4 years, the base does not fit into the cars rear seat!, if it hasn't got parking sensors get em fitted it is a pig to go backwards due to its shape, things disapeare under the line of the boot lid, rear vision is useless, lost count the amount of times I have hit my wheelie bin, Electric steering is strange to get use to, apart from these things it is a nice car to drive, and does distance with ease, not the best on fuel, at present my 2004 1.9 is pulling around 43.6 mpg does better in the summer months, its weight does not help, Ooo watch out for rear breaks on them, expensive rear discs cost you around £120 pair, fronts you can get for around £75, you will notice this car will stop on a sixpence must give Renault 10/10 for braking on this car, mine is on 75k now.
I have had trouble with:
lower Ball joints (both gone), steering arms (both Gone), changed track control arms as well, water pump leaked. and around 60k all discs and pads changed front n rear, also needed a handbrake leaver as that broke to. all happend around the 60k mark, it is running on 16 inch rims at present, I find I can get arond 24k out of front tyres with Toyo CF1's good grip as well, rears I am having probelms matching, Barum Bravarus only lasted 18K way to soft, now it has just had Nexen N6000 fitted supose to be extra millage tyres we will see!!! but a lot quiter than the barums, I know rear tracking is out but not by much tyre worn slighly more on out side edge but the whole tyre was on its markers on both sides, 18k is not good, that is less than the fronts, so sticking with Toyo on the front just not paid enough to put em all round, nexens cost me £98 a pair, the toyos are around £140 pair.
Hope this bit of info helps from a 2004 1.9DCi owner that pulls around 350 miles per week to work n back and has around 75k on her now and still climbing, watch out for the sound system that goes up and down with car speed it can have you sub conciously travelling a lot faster than you think, I also switched off my auto head lamps to save on bulbs my where on and off like yo yos going to work I was putting bulbs in every few months, which is also a pig of a job, since auto has been disabled same bulbs for 12 months now but yes nice drive, excellent with the roof off, loads of room for driver and passenger and storage every where, don't forget your air conditioned glovebox for you bottles of pop OOps sorry "water" and the auto anti dazzel mirror which you don't realise until you drive some one elses car with out it.
What do I hate about it: stupid seat belts, ackward to get to, but if your seat is forward (short person) they must be imensly anoying as you have to twist and streach quite a lot to reach them, Sun blind, pain the A! rattles like mad over rough roads, how often do you actually use it, around twice a year, drive you nuts when you go over those red lines for speed changes in the road, leaves you muttering the words "for gods sake" under your breath, and finally rear vision, with all that glass you actually see nothing when in reverse, it is really ackward to parallel park. no car is perfect, I am sure you will have a list of "hates" as well, but belive me, when that sun shines and press that button and it pings at you "roof Error" and "consult Handbook" and you think OH GOD! then realise the boot cover is not pulled over after a winter of rain and then down it goes and off home you travel topless you forget all of the "hates" till next winter! then the flippin sun blinds starts again just to keep you company through the winter, you know Audi have lane change now to keep you awake, Renualt have "sun blind" try sleeping through that!
Becareful with it, I saw some real sheds, pay to get and Experian check on it, I found a few of mine had been in Auctions every year which I thought was a bit dodgy and these where 2005 cars with like 20k on them from dealers, mine was a private sale with one owner paid 5.5K for it with 40k on it 2004 car belive it or not is was better than the dealers cars, try not be swayed bythe fact it is a convertable, this is easily done, these cars are quite expensive to repair, especially roof wise, becasue of its weight parts tend to be pricey, don't let the guy push you into a quick sale, it is a lovely car to own but by god it can bankrupt you if you buy a duff one, it is late 06 (56 plate) so it has done 61000 in around 4 years so it has been doing around 15k a year ish not to bad for a diesel, they are good engines providing you use the correct oil for them, keep any ear open for excessive turbo whistle, service lights do not need a machine to turn it off possible serviced around 18k intervals, most deffinatly check on Cam belt, usually has a water pump done at the same time belts alone from Reanult in the region of a £120. + fitting. it is like most modern cars these days, expensive when broken but you have to add to the mix the convertable roof, you will find most garages no nothing of this roof, non renault dealers warranty very rare covers this roof as it is "specalist" Don't get me wrong I am not trying to scare you away from it, what I am trying to say is becareful, do not let the dealer/seller push you into it just tryint to let you know they are not cheap if it breaks we looked at around 7 of them out of the 7; 2 where good, 6 where dealers, 1 private, missed other private ones, sold to quick, all 6 dealers reckoned their car was the best you will ever see, and there where many people test driving it, one even tried to force us to put a deposit on it , oh and don't let them tell you it is a Karmen special addition as it has karman on the bottom of the rear panel, no I don't think so, karmen make the roof! its a merc roof system. they all have this on!

drodders

Postby drodders » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:22 pm

thanks for the info both of you who replied just what i need to know.
this one where looking at is a 56plate priviledge 1.9 61000 non-FAP so the reg comes up with. same owner from new full dealer sh for what thats worth,he told me the cam belt hasnt been done yet as its around the 72k or 5 year mark & its not part of the service,so renault have said...and he also said if the car has any leaks he doesnt know of them but i will check anyway...hpi clear with 1 owner full leather and new style wheels apparently...forgot to say as the cam belt hasnt been done yet he has dropped the price to account for this...
any ideas what i should be paying it looks immaculate & private.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:50 pm

No cambelt is not part of the service, just an expensive job. had mine done as it was reaching 5 years old when I bought it, around 2 years back, prices are good this time ofthe year so I reckon around 5000 to 5500, dependant on Colour and condition if it is a red one (like I wanted) you will be up around £6k for that, I got stuck with a silver pearl one, still beggers can't be chosers! Black and silver are the cheap ones along with the blue one once we start moving towards April the prices will climb quickly so be careful, you will end up paying more when the sun comes along! :lol:
If you get it for 5k and its good then you have a decent car for not a lot of cash enjoy it, it will be a 130 as well a lot quicker than mine that extra 10bhp seems to hold a lot!

TubaPlayer
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 (54) Black Megane 2.0T Privilege CC

Postby TubaPlayer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

ChrisM wrote: one once we start moving towards April the prices will climb quickly so be careful, you will end up paying more when the sun comes along!

Yes thats why i bought mine in the winter :D
Megane 2004 2.0T Black Privilege CC, Xenons, Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Full Leather, Rear Parking Sensors (Colour Coded)
Previously: Megane 2003 2.0 16V Black Dymanique Sport Hatch

drodders

Postby drodders » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:53 pm

she bought the car ended up gettin it for £4600 takin the cam belt into consideration so say £5k...anyway got to be truthfull with you she has got a decent car there,im a vw person myself but this is a good diesel car the roof leaks got done last year in oct both rear sides under warranty with a 3 year guarentee to go with it which was good all serviced by main dealer, leather, climate, traction,the lot bar sat nav...tons of reciepts main dealer.and roof had new motor fitted last year may under warranty.no suspension noise rear tyres could do with a change mybe a month or 2 left,its fiji green to me its like a bluey black green colour or my eyes need testing...12months t&t fsh 1 owner to me i think she has done well there not short of todays aution price for a oct 06 model.thanks for the input come in handy...

Return to “Megane CC”