Bl@~&y Hands Free!

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

synchro
Learner Driver

Bl@~&y Hands Free!

Postby synchro » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:40 pm

Grrr I love hands free entry but found out the hard way today about a nasty scenario...

I drove with the wife to a small village where I had some things to do.
I get out she gets in the drivers seat and drives off to the next town.
I then get a call when she gets there and parks up.
She then realised that I have the keycard in my pocket!
She can't start the car to come get me :(
She can't lock the car to do her shopping :(
I curse for forgetting the key and shell out £20 for a taxi back to the car :banghead

My fault I know but...

Why doesn't the car warn the driver the key is out of range? :conf
Why can't you lock the car without the keycard (It ignores the buttons on the handles without the card)? :nut

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: Bl@~&y Hands Free!

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:47 pm

synchro wrote:Why doesn't the car warn the driver the key is out of range? :conf
Why can't you lock the car without the keycard (It ignores the buttons on the handles without the card)? :nut

the car DOES warn you when the card isn't detected. the dash should display "card not detected" - mine did this the other day.

i can't say i can think of a car that allows you to lock it without a key or some sort.

shawty500
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane Cabriolet 1.9 Dci

Postby shawty500 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:48 pm

you can lock it without the key, there is a button on the door handle.

Mine comes up with key not detected soon as the key is more than arms length from the car!?!?!?!

jak01
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 CC Vectra 1.9 cdti (Company car) MGB

Postby jak01 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Yep, as others have said it comes up with card not detected message on the trip computer display. Then again, women generally ignore messages /warning lights don't they!! :D :banghead ;-)
Ford Mondeo, 1.6 vvt CC Privelege, 1973 MGB

synchro
Learner Driver

Postby synchro » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I'll try driving it round the block tomorrow without the key and check for messages!
I did confirm you can't use the locking buttons without the keycard present though.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 am

Can confirm it does yell about card not detected on the dash, and nope there is no way you can lock it without that card, hands free buttons or not not, it has to detect the card, to determine if it is correct to lock, did you also know as well with hands free you can not lock the car with the card inside, I left mine in the tray infront of the slot, jumped out and pressed the lock button to my suprise it actually worked!! but locked and immdiately unlocked the car, MMMMmm funny I thought tried again and it did the same thing, so I decided to lock with the card, then realising it was still inside the car, took it out and car locked ok.
I always, well more times than not put my key in the slot:
1) hands free very rare locks the car off the button, so I end up fiddling around looking for the card to lock the car, which pocket was it? raining? yes I am now wet anyway.
2) we too often share driving car, where we do the same one jumps out and other jumps in driver seat, if card is in pocket ,well as you where! stuffed!!!!
3) stops the wife getting into trouble by not checking for the card. ;)
It is far to easily done. and as you found out only realising when you switch it off, and lowering your hand to the slot?, you would have thought it would have made more of an audible fuss but I don't think it does it just flashes at you, I am sure.
Silly really considering that is quite an important bit of info you might be interested in knowing.
on a scale of 1 to 10 how anoyed where the both of you? 15!
Me and er in doors would have had a heck of a ding dong over that as it would have been her fault for not looking forthe card and my fault for having in my pocket, who would have won, obvisouly er in doors she alyways does. :-(

It's a mans job just to shoulder that blame for the wife! :hug

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:40 am

I forgot to say.
When my farther in law goes away (breaks, hols etc) he always puts his spare key in his wifes handbag! so they have both keys with them.
Strange I thought, until he explained it is better that way, imagine he said I am in Britany and my key stops working or I lose it, imagine the hasel this is going to cause, trying to get another one, when all I simply do is ask the wife, she gets spare out of hand bag and off we go, simple!
I must say it never occured to me, but the amount of times we have been in Cornwall or York and just thinking that and what we would actually do and how much it would cost, simply becasue the spare was at home.
Not that it this is much help you now, but it just makes you think doesn't it, as it never occured to me becasue we don't expect trouble do we.
Just a thought if you are all traveling any distance over christmas, take your spare as well, (do try it 1st to make sure it is ok)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 pm

ChrisM wrote:I forgot to say.
When my farther in law goes away (breaks, hols etc) he always puts his spare key in his wifes handbag! so they have both keys with them.
Strange I thought, until he explained it is better that way, imagine he said I am in Britany and my key stops working or I lose it, imagine the hasel this is going to cause, trying to get another one, when all I simply do is ask the wife, she gets spare out of hand bag and off we go, simple!

There is a flaw in your argument. Getting back to Blighty from Brittany and finding a open dealership will prove less time consuming than the time it takes your wife to find the damned key in her Tardis like handbag. :cool:

Otherwise, makes sense!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:05 pm

the time it takes your wife to find the damned key in her Tardis like handbag

MMMMMmmmm excellent point!, my other thought which popped into my head is "which handbag" as the chances are er in doors will have brought the wrong bag out with her and left the bag with the key in back at the appartment, but of course it WILL be your fault as you never told her to bring the key!

Best idea of the week, leave the wife with the car and carry on with your holiday!!! ~ always a posative. :dead

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Set a trend - get an ear pierced and have the missus do the same. Wear one card each.

See - this is lateral thinking - though you might look like a pouffe.... :idea: 8-)
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 am

Hey listen I am welsh and we are dubious at the best of times :-P

Mince this way and I will show you! :eek

:hug

Return to “Megane CC”