Parcel shelf wont go down Renault Megane CC

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

robcop_8182

Parcel shelf wont go down Renault Megane CC

Postby robcop_8182 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 pm

I recently purchased a 2006 renault megane cc (3 months ago), Two days after purchase the roof stopped working (2nd retraction) the garage has refused to cover the costs as they have said the roof is not under warranty, https://www.alpinocarsltd.co.uk/16260/index.htm) Anyway i have now purchased two wires that were thought to be the problem £50 each excluding fitting...but they both snapped due to pressure when opening the roof. Now they think its a little black latch that is not retracting correctly costing another £80. this also may not be the problem and if it doesn't work renault have said it could cost in excess of £1000. does anyone have any idea of the problem or encounter it themselves? also alpino cars ltd of manchester have been no help at all i am ringing citizens advice tomorrow as i only had it two days surely he must be accountable for some costs incurred
:banghead

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Parcel shelf wont go down Renault Megane CC

Postby ChrisM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:29 am

Where does the roof stop. mine:
Drops 3 of the 4 windows (passenger rear stays up - long Story - bolted in place!!!)
the roof above your head by windscreen unlocks and lifts slightly
The Boot starts to open
Then the whole thing moves in sync
The rear parcel shelf pivots up and just misses the roof as it stows in the boot.
Parcel shelf and boot lid close, with the P/Shelf just beating the boot lid so the boot sits on the seal of the P/Shelf.

Now occasionally I have a problem with the (again) passenger side catch, I get the impresion it has perhaps had a bit of an wack on that rear side, as both catch and rear quater lite cause me hassel, anyway sometimes the black catch on that rear does not always clear and the boot lid opens on the cock or rather tries to, so I have to watch in the passenger mirror if it does not move upwards, then I have to stop the opening and close the roof then re-open it and it works, I must say it is doing it less and less now, to the point this year roof has been off around 4 times now and not once yet has it caught, but I have been dousing the catch in copious amounts of silicone grease over the past year.
If you know which catch it is can you suss out why it is not working, broken cable, seized up, slack cable
It doesn't really suprise me the garage does not want to cover the roof, even Renault turn a funny colour :dead :?: when you mention "the roof" to them, and to an outsider like your garage it must be hell when this turns up but at the end of the day they did sell it to you and perhaps they should have taken this into consideration when they put it up for sale, we do, we have had a couple of CC's here part x'ed and traded them on not retailed them we also had a Astra Twin Top which we traded on to Vauxhall mainly due to the roofs, but to be honest I bet your warranty wont cover it sadly a lot of these "Used Car" warranties are worthless at claim time they cover virtually nothing, we sell two of them to support the manufacturer warranty both are useless really they seem like they cover loads but in the small print they don't they alwys use words like but in the case of as get out clauses I would stil have words with trading standards if nothing else you may get them to take the car back for what you paid for it, worth a try.
Good Luck, car dealers are awful people, I know I work for one! incidentally I did not buy my car off them! that must say it all about car dealers really!

robcop_8182

Postby robcop_8182 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Roof and windows all completely retract back and the boot lid closes as it should but the parcel shelf stays in an upright position therefore stopping it being usable due to the force created when driving would just snap the parcel self off.. I have spoken to citizen’s advice today who advised me to contact consumer direct. The lady I spoke to was very helpful and informed me about the sales of goods act. :hug The Sale of Goods Act 1979 states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for any purpose made known at the time of sale to the seller. “I wanted a convertible and it doesn’t convert” thing is it broke two days after we drove it off the forecourt. She advised me of the next steps to take and what documentation I needed to keep hold of, I just can’t believe this has happened two days after purchase it, makes me sick thinking about it, the dealer it’s a waste of space and cant be trusted even now when we speak on the phones he sound such a trust worthy person and promises the world – (Fantastic acting ability) Consumer direct seem to think that we might have a case against him as Renault have been more than helpful to be honest and have said that the fault might be a long standing one (before I purchased the car) if this turns out then fingers crossed !!!!!!!!!

Thing is the convertibles now a days are just to high tec and are so easy to break down costing hundreds if not thousands to repair :cry

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 am

I quite Agree far to complex, great whilst they work, Hired a few Astra Twin Tops whilst holidaying, amazing roof mechanism but boy is that just heart ache to own, and quite intersetingly enough I have had a few stand offs with hire companies abroad over the Astra TT as they never seem to have enough of them, the reason they spend a lot of time in the garage having a roof repair so you end up waiting for sometimes up to an hour for the next one in and this is quite regular, hire a Renault or Pug CC fine but they are more expensive to hire but seem to stand up to the hire car market bashing better than the Astra, not that this paragraph means much to you but it just shows the more complex the roof it the more it "breaks"
The dealer may try to argue the point that the vehicle was fit for purpose at the time he released it to you, you must have operated the roof incorectly and will possibly go along the lines of the roof is a specalist area and he does not have a speaclist on site, etc, etc,you know the schpeel, if he is a renowed dealer then perhaps the presure of the Consumer people and the threat of publicity might be enough to get him moving on it, you will possably have to prove he knew the roof was a problem, it can be quite a grey area, but maybe the bigest gun you have is publicity, esprcially in todays climate where buying cars is very thin on the ground at present.
You may find that the fear of this roof for the dealer is making him deny everything now, it could have "just" happened perhaps with him it may be a bit slow on retracting, but him not being a Renault dealer has not thought about it, as far as he is concered the roof works fine, I nearly bought one where the parcel shelf sat ontop of the boot, the dealer thought that was where it sat! really did not realise it was wrong, when I pointed it out he looked quite suprised and then said it does make some odd noises sometimes when closing, he withdrew it from sale.
As said you may find him hard to deal with as there is not enough profit in the car to repair the roof if it has to go to Renault if you can see what I mean, as he probally will not be able to repair this roof for you.
Does it not run from a small motor on the driver side. you must be able to see all the mechanics now under the shelf can you not see what is causing it to jam?
This is one of the reasons why we just trade em on, we sell Audi, VW, Mazda, Seat, Suzuki and Mitsu but we still strade on the Renaults, Pugs, Vauxhalls Etc with the electic roofs as we would not have a clue if it went wrong, and would cost us dearly.
The Renault roof is based on the Merc roof by the way if you did not know, perhaps a merc tec could help if you knew one.
Hope all goes well for you they are a real pain when they break, sorry to hear your misfortune with a car dealer, but also try to understand there is not as much profit in used cars as people usually think, not that I am protecting him, I don't know him so he will be worying about cost as well. Publicty is a great tool though! :)

sparky7

Postby sparky7 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Did you ever get this fixed, and do you know how hey did it? Mine now does the same thing, Parcel shelf just stays upright when the roof is down, a bit annoying!

Thanks

ziik
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: BMW X5 3LTR D
MEGANE CC 2007

Postby ziik » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:15 am

i had same problem ended up breakig rear passenger side parcel shelf ( i should say snapped off when roof was been put down ) , paid £60 from delaers and it took three big men to pull the cable into the grooves of the parcel shelf, dealers said its a common thing as the cable gets very tight and nothing they can can do , its all working now thank god

garryvincent
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9 DCi

Postby garryvincent » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:43 am

ziik wrote:i had same problem ended up breakig rear passenger side parcel shelf ( i should say snapped off when roof was been put down ) , paid £60 from delaers and it took three big men to pull the cable into the grooves of the parcel shelf, dealers said its a common thing as the cable gets very tight and nothing they can can do , its all working now thank god

Did you see how they adjusted them? If so how did they do it?

Thanks in advance

Garry :)

lewispen

Postby lewispen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 am

Hi,my girlfriends got a megane convertable 2007 and the parcel shelf isn't going down when you lower the roof everything else is working fine the shelf just stays in the upright position,i've had a look and the cams that lower the shelf don' t seem to be working cant see anything broken, cables look ok,i've tried pushing it down maually and it just goes back to the upright position,has anyone else had this problem or any ideas about how to fix this??

ziik
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: BMW X5 3LTR D
MEGANE CC 2007

Postby ziik » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 pm

I will try taking pics of which cables and mechanism and the used big pliers like tool to get a grip on the mechanism

jon2nd

Postby jon2nd » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:35 pm

ziik wrote:I will try taking pics of which cables and mechanism and the used big pliers like tool to get a grip on the mechanism

Hi All
I have the same problem with the parcel shelf not going down, although you are able to manually close it just as the boot lids shuts. Any help identifying the problem will be greatly received as i really carn't see were the problem is.

Regards
jon

Jane Jennifer Fergie
Currently Drives:: renault megane coupe cabriolet 2008

Postby Jane Jennifer Fergie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 pm

I am having the same problem. If there is a second person about who can push the parcel shelf down when the boot is closing then it is fine but it will not do it on its own. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated especially as the weather is so beautiful. Thank you

anniebaby
Currently Drives:: renault megane coupe 2006

Postby anniebaby » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:05 am

Has any body got ides how to sort out this problem -parcel shelf wont move -how can you get the shelf down without useing the switch ?

Phill100

Postby Phill100 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi I too have the parcel shelf problem :-( local garage does not want to know and my nearest dealer is 50 miles away :-( Surley its not top secret how the bloody thing works? Come on Renault Mech's give us a clue :banghead

binge
Currently Drives:: Megane CC - 2.0 VVT

Postby binge » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 am

Sorry for digging up a bit of an old thread.
I have had the exact same issue with my partners 2004 CC. The parcel shelf was originally going down slower than the boot lid, leaving it on the 'outside' when fully closed.
Then eventually it stopped working all together, and ended up staying up like a wind sail.

After a bit of investigation, it appears that when you are closing the roof up to make it into a 'hard top' again, the parcel shelf is operated via a couple of fixed/mechanical cams, which move it to where it needs to be.

However, when you are opening the roof, into a convertable car, the parcelshelf is operated via a couple of cables.

These cables run from just under the two plastic removable covers on the ends of the rear bench (Either side of the head rests), behind the boot lining, and onto the hinges of the boot lid.

These were both broken.

One was completely knackered (Outer cable had all bunched up and moved so cable was slack).
the other had come unclipped, but after I re-attached it, it simply broke because one cable isnt enough to operate the shelf.

Cables seem a little expensive for what they are (£50 per side!), but the roof can stll be used, just make sure you push the shelf down by hand before the boot lid closes, and it'll stay down until you close the roof again. It just 'springs' up as you close the roof, rather than opens slowly.

One of my pals owns a custom bikes shop, so I will be having a chat with him about getting some replacement cables made up to a higher quality than the OE ones.

HTH

Ben

Andrewe
Currently Drives:: Renault megane convertible

Postby Andrewe » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Had my renault megane convertible roof fixed tonight the parcel shelf stayed up when the roof was going down it was the yellow marked left cable as it was frayed and rubbed but got replaced and now works fine

Return to “Megane CC”