A couple of niggles.

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

impis
Currently Drives:: Megane cc VVT 115 dymonique

A couple of niggles.

Postby impis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm

hi,

I've a 2004 megane cc - and I love it!!! It has apparently had lots of problems in the past with the starter motor [I found the AA slips in amongst the paperwork[ but so far, in the 18 months that its been mine, there's been no problem. [I like to think that my 'gentler' manner with the car suits it better.

Recently, however I've noticed some changes.

1. The engine noise changed. There's now a deep humming in the background - which gets louder as you go faster. Sometimes it sounds like a waw waw waw sound. At first I thought i was imagining it, but after both my daughter and my mate asked what the sound was, I decided to get it serviced, in the hope that it would resolve the mystery. But no - it still does it, and the garage didn't mention it. Today, I got hubby to take it for a spin. Despite being deaf as a post [he claims he's just got selective hearing] he said he could hear the hum, and that its 'tyre noise'. Hmmm - funny how the tyre noise suddenly appeared.

2. I filled up the petrol tank 4 days ago. Ever since, when i drive round a corner, I can hear sloshing. Thinking about it, the petrol is just a coincidence - it had been raining very heavily for a couple of days this week - so I think its water that i can hear. [plus, petrol is more gloopy and would make a different sound, and isn't in the right place anyhow]. It is quite distinctive - the running of water, over obstacles, from one side of the car to the other, like a rippling brook! The sound is coming from behind the dashboard, and there must be quite a bit of water in there. Today, accellorating to get up a steep hill, water suddenly appeared from under the dashboard and soaked my feet!! . Despite my insistance that there's water trapped in there somewhere, Hubby is not convinced. His 'selective hearing' is preventing him from hearing the water, and he couldn't get it to repeat the footbath trick. It's most frustrating!

Hubby [who works at a garage, though only as a driver] will take it in and get the mechanics to check it specifically for the problems i've highlighted above, tomorrow. - But I was wondering if any of you had had similar experiences with your cars, and if you know what the sound might be - and where the water is!

Thanks in advance,

imp

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: A couple of niggles.

Postby ChrisM » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 am

Hi
Humming could be rear wheel bearings dry! mine is just starting to do this, can just hear it hum on a smooth road.
Could also be tyres due to a shocker problem, look for patches across the tyre of baldness, due to the shocker not working correctly, myself! I would look a bearings 1st, sounds more like them to me, if it is rear bearings take a look at rear discs as well if they look a bit dubious change them as well as the bearing come with the rear disc, can be bought seperatly but are rather expensive.

Water could be blocked bulkhead drain holes, where the warter drains off the screen, fills up sloshes around then finally finds a gromet to wet you. would be suprised if it was behind the dash as there are a lot of cables and connections there so sometihng would have stopped working by now.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm

impis wrote:hi,
....so I think its water that i can hear... It is quite distinctive - the running of water, over obstacles, from one side of the car to the other, like a rippling brook! The sound is coming from behind the dashboard, and there must be quite a bit of water in there. Today, accellorating to get up a steep hill, water suddenly appeared from under the dashboard and soaked my feet!! . Despite my insistance that there's water trapped in there somewhere...
imp

See here:
https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... 59&p=77149
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

impis
Currently Drives:: Megane cc VVT 115 dymonique

Postby impis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Thank you for your responses. I am waiting for my husband to return with the car, from the garage - and I will see what they have to say about it. I vaguely remember them saying that one of the brake disks was sticking - but I thought they'd released it. Plus they said that the brakes would need renewing soonish. [but don't they always say that!]

Hubby's just come in and said that there was water at the base of the wipers - the drainage ducts were blocked.

Return to “Megane CC”