Engine start problem

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jim123321

Engine start problem

Postby jim123321 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 am

Has anyone had problems starting there Megane CC's especially in this cold weather??
When I put the card in and press the start/stop button sometimes it starts brilliantly and other times it makes a loud clicking noise like something is trying to turn over, this happens and then it just turns off but all the electrics will remain on, usually if i press the button again it will just start but sometimes it takes a third press of the button.
This never happend in the summer so my guess is that its something to do with the cold weather and maybe the starter motor is giving up and sticking sometimes.
Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be?
BTW had the battery checked last week it stands at 60% charge and Halfords class this as a good battery apparently!
This is the sort of weather were getting LOL!

Thanks for any help!!

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Engine start problem

Postby davelowe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 pm

If its at 60% its as good as dead. Replace it. 85% (12.52V) should be a working minimum. How old is the battery?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 am

Yep nearly dead for Megan, on a normal car 60% is ok, but megan uses lots of juice your clicking is the battery trying to turn the starter but not enough juice so it is clicking the solenoid instead, possibly because your oil is thicker in the cold than it is in the warm the battery can't turn the engine over, which is why it is ok in the summer, warn air thinner oil.
Change it before it lets you down 100% and you can quarantee it will be miles from home, at night, in the snow/rain where there is no mobile signal, generally know as "sods law"
Cars seem to have an aptitude for "sods law" and use it well

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Don't bother trying to charge it if it's an old battery. They decline with age and charging will only give you a few days benefit. It will then revert back to the old condition. Once discharged, lead-acid batteries don't recover. Best to get it replaced before it leaves you stranded (as mentioned above).

The reason batteries often develop problems in winter is because the performance is related to temperature (lower = worse). It's nothing to do with oil thickness - the oil is thinner when cold not thicker. Lots of people are reporting the same problem. I will be too soon - mine is taking longer to start (7 year old battery and -8C).

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:09 pm

*******It's nothing to do with oil thickness - the oil is thinner when cold not thicker.*******

Afraid that is totally wrong, oil is a science which I do not profuse to know, or intend knowing, but I do know after years in motor trade it changes its "thickness" try draining your oil when it is hot, after burning finger tips have a look how quick it drains and how thin it is, it is a simple exercise, we do not suffer low enough temperatures to warrant special oils but they are out there, I am not saying it becomes "gloopy" we are not cold enough but it does cause extra drag, couple that with a duff battery which again suffers as the charge struggles to pass through the thicker Acid/water medium which hinders the duff battery even more.

Another example is your hand book, mine tells me to check oil when engine is cold, why? is this because as it get warmer the oil thins which makes the level a bit higher, this is another reason why oil has temperature ranges for differant driving conditions, it would be madness to use a thin oil in very hight temps same as using something equivelent to EP90 gearbox oil in the Artic for your engine.
Granted it does not thicken a lot but it would be just enough to hamper a strart up with a bad battery especially with the temperatures we have been having lately.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 pm

ChrisM wrote:*******It's nothing to do with oil thickness - the oil is thinner when cold not thicker.*******

Afraid that is totally wrong, oil is a science which I do not profuse to know, or intend knowing, but I do know after years in motor trade it changes its "thickness" try draining your oil when it is hot, after burning finger tips have a look how quick it drains and how thin it is, it is a simple exercise, we do not suffer low enough temperatures to warrant special oils but they are out there, I am not saying it becomes "gloopy" we are not cold enough but it does cause extra drag, couple that with a duff battery which again suffers as the charge struggles to pass through the thicker Acid/water medium which hinders the duff battery even more.

Another example is your hand book, mine tells me to check oil when engine is cold, why? is this because as it get warmer the oil thins which makes the level a bit higher, this is another reason why oil has temperature ranges for differant driving conditions, it would be madness to use a thin oil in very hight temps same as using something equivelent to EP90 gearbox oil in the Artic for your engine.
Granted it does not thicken a lot but it would be just enough to hamper a strart up with a bad battery especially with the temperatures we have been having lately.

Oops - misread what you wrote. Sorry.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:29 am

No worries - I work very close to our tecs so I hear them at the moment everyday going on about oil to differant customers who are complaining of slugish starting, when I hear the customer say "i think my battery needs testing, as she was very slugish starting today" you just know they are going to get the oil talk from the tec, and you think inside Oh NO, not again! God I am going to become an oil anorak at parites!!!! :(

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 am

Sorry MD alert!!
What I was going to say, I had around 1.5 inch of snow on mine and not a drop of water inside, which suprised me as it does like to weep water slightly in the rain from rear quater lite and if heavy rain passenger front corner where roof meets screen and door, but snow NONE! must be because it melts slowly, I found it does not go up hills very well in the snow, not as well as the wifes Megane Coupe, seems to lose traction quite quickly due to its weight I think, heafty bit of glass that roof, not had it off for weeks now either to coin a phrase, highest temp we have had is 1and everything is still frozen, so I have left it in place just in case there is a seal that is stuck with ice, what happend to this Global Warming we have all been charged for, perhaps we should ask for a refund? :grin

jim123321

Postby jim123321 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Bloody hell didnt think i had any replies to this as i usually get an email when i get a reply, thanks you so much for all the comments this will really help me!!
Your all brill!!

Return to “Megane CC”