Fuel cap/flap solenoid stuck

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

rowan.bradley

Fuel cap/flap solenoid stuck

Postby rowan.bradley » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:58 am

The solenoid that's supposed to lock the fuel flap closed on my Megane CC is not working (has never worked since I bought the car second hand 2 years ago). It's stuck "out" (i.e. in the locked position). The only reason I can open the flap is that the clip that's supposed to line up the flap with the solenoid is bust. I can just get my hand onto the solenoid through the slot which works the boot opening mechanism, and I can feel it jerk when I lock or unlock the car - so I think the power is getting to the solenoid OK. It must be physically stuck. I've tried penetrating oil, and pushing/pulling/turning the locking pin but no luck. Is there anything else I can try without physically removing the solenoid?

If I need to remove the solenoid, what steps do I have to take? It appears that I will have to remove the right hand boot opening mechanism, and before that I'll have to remove the right hand boot lining, and before that I'll have to remove the boot curtain (or whatever you call the spring loaded cover that has to be in place before you can open the roof). Any hints on how to do these things would be a great help!

Thanks - Rowan

faffer
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Qashqai, Alfa Ph2 Spider & company Octavia

Re: Fuel cap/flap solenoid stuck

Postby faffer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 am

Have you considered getting a quote from a garage? Sometimes these jobs are easier than they look. As an example; I drove my Laguna around for ages with a broken spotlight because it looked to me that I would need to take off the front bumper.I found a Renault garage (not a million miles from you) that did the replacement one Saturday morning while I waited for £23 +vat (I supplied the part). Just a thought Dave

rowan.bradley

Postby rowan.bradley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:07 am

faffer wrote:Have you considered getting a quote from a garage?

Well, I posted this question after my garage told me it would take them an hour just to get access to the solenoid, and that the part would not be cheap. If, as I suspect, the solenoid is just stuck (since it still gives a jerk when the doors are locked or unlocked, the electrical side of it must be OK, I figure), I hope I can mend it without requiring a replacement if I can just get it out...

Rowan

faffer
Passed Theory

Postby faffer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 am

Just had a look at some old Renault documentation that I have and if the part is a 8200313376 it doesn't look that expensive. Have you approached Renault for price on the part? may be less grief in the long run to replace it.

rowan.bradley

Postby rowan.bradley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:02 pm

faffer wrote:may be less grief in the long run to replace it.

I'll check this part, but I still need to know how to remove it (i.e. what has to be removed in what order to gain access, and whether I need any special tools). On a quick look I couldn't see how to remove the roller-blind thing, which I guess is the first thing that has to come out.
Thanks - Rowan

faffer
Passed Theory

Postby faffer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:40 am

I take it you have seen this as well
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10807

Return to “Megane CC”