Pesky rear window

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

emacey

Pesky rear window

Postby emacey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi All

Have just bought a 2007 Megane CC 1.6 and am loving it :-P . However we are having issues with the back passenger window :? .

Firstly the switch is the wrong way round. The window down position sends the window up and vise versa.

In addition, whenever the roof goes down then is put back up I have to use the "All window" button next to the handbrake to put the windows back up. Once this button is touched the same back window will stop working until the car is switched off, left for 30 seconds, and then the engine is started (where it goes back to its usual backwards ways).

Its under warranty but so far the dealer (Non renault) havnt been very helpful. So far the solution has been is to switch the car off and on and tell me its fully working asside from it being backwards. Of course once the handbrake button is pressed it stops working again.

Has anyone got any ideas of whats going on? It sounds to me like the window has been wired in backwards (dealers initial thoughts but now they have dismissed that idea) but that doesnt explain why it stops working once the handbrake window switch is pressed). Is it possible water damage (dont know if the roof leaks as there has been no rain since I purchased it)?

Thanks in advance.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Pesky rear window

Postby ChrisM » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:35 pm

I am guessing this is from the driver door panel, have you tried the window from the rear panel? what does it do.
I take it the windows do not all come up from the roof button, they should do, without touching the "all window" button?
Rear quarter lite could be suffering from the leaking window syndrome, but not really 100% convinced this is what you have. If I remember rightly I think it is near impossible to plug the regulator plug in the wrong way, I am sure they are "shaped" it is a bit of a fag to get a look though.
It could be as simple as the door panel switch next to you, that could have been put in the wrong way around., which in itself tells you some work may have been done to either the driver door inards or the window switches themselves.
If the car has been like this since you got it could have quite possible got wet on the lot, or even during washing it, the non Renault dealers i.e used car dealer will not want to touch the roof on these cars they simply do not understand them, but this seems to be a window issue I would push em a bit on it, there stance is going to be the car has gone out now so they wont really want to spend any more money on it, not sure where you would stand taking it to Reno and billing the used car dealership, not my area of expertise, seems the logical thing to do, but law wise not sure how you would go about it, trading standards may be a good start, agreed it is sometihng you should not really be looking at yourself at this stage.
may be as simple as a wet window ECU (lives on top of window reg motor) or an incorrectly wired door switch I take it when you press the center consul (all windows) button it brings up all 4 or just locks so you have to use the driver window panel to raise each window after the restart.
It may be worth getting the garage to get into the rear panel and unplug this window and dry it out with a heat gun. sometimes you can save them, it is not a difficult job and is done with the roof down, there is a guide on here telling you (them) how to get to it.
Trouble is these cars along with thier likes Astra TT, EOS, the pugs are all great cars to sell but if they are not right they are too complicated for the usual used car dealer to repair, and could cost him Thousands, a lot of them are very reluctant to get into a repair and will try and blame you unfortunatly.

emacey

Postby emacey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Wow. Thanks for the fast replys. The dealer has acknowledged the problem but it doesnt seem like they know what they are looking at. They have looked at it twice believing they have solved the problem when it just takes a quick play with the roof to break it again. They have now ordered a renault CD to see if they can reprogram the window. I'm just enquiring so I myself can see if anyone would know and if it is a continuing problem I at least can gain a little bit of knowldge about it.

From the rear panel it is also reversed and also doesnt work after using the All Window Button (thank you for continuing to call it that so a simpleton like me can follow :-) ) So it doesnt look like a problem from the drivers door side of things. The other three windows come up just fine from the central console.

None of the windows come up from the roof button after the roof has settled so this is a little bit of a concern.

Seems like someone else has had the same issue. Possible crossed wires. Wonder if they ever sorted it.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12515

TubaPlayer
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 (54) Black Megane 2.0T Privilege CC

Postby TubaPlayer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Once the roof is up you have to release the roof button and then press and hold it again for all the windows to come up, or at least you do on mine, have you tried this?
Megane 2004 2.0T Black Privilege CC, Xenons, Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Full Leather, Rear Parking Sensors (Colour Coded)
Previously: Megane 2003 2.0 16V Black Dymanique Sport Hatch

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:18 am

We have had this problem a few times on here with window buttons working differently to the "all Window" centre consul button, we got as far as guessing they must work on different circuits and that is it, nobody has ever as far as I am aware come back on with a resolve, possibly bunged into the Reno dealership and done, very much doubt they will say what was done and this particular forum does not seem to have a Renault Tec on here if there is he keeps silent on technical aspects of these cars....
As for Tuba Player, yes mine does this also so should yours, it does have a timer on it, if I put my roof up and don't press the roof button again for say over a minute then the windows up off the roof button does not work, I guess the system "thinks" I want to leave my windows down. after this it is the "all windows" button next to the roof button to get them up. Can't remember which way you push it, the wrong way will start the roof opening again I always fluff it up for the first week or so, getting on a bit now must be a bit senile!!
So, Driver Door switch, works back wards, rear panel switch works backwards, All windows switch puts up 3 windows and leaves this "backwards" one down. To me it sounds like it could well be localised to that back window motor, it has on top a 6 pin comfort unit (ECU) which loves to get wet and do odd things, like dropping that rear window for no reason what so ever, because this is confusing the window ECU on that rear window when it is instruct to rise from the ALL Window button it freezes the ECU, so you have to switch off car and re start car - kind of soft reboot if you like to reset that window, at a guess I think your problem lies somewhere in that window reg.
Has the garage looked at it, striped it back to actually see the window reg in that panel, it could be wet, as said and some times by disconnecting the plug from it you can actually reset it , other thoughts on it are it could have been tampered with, my passenger rear chews cables, on quite a regular basis, and last year I needed a new reg again I spotted one on ebay at £25 looked the same, but on further investigation it was a Meg 1 Cabrio reg, but looked almost the same apart from the plug, I wonder if this is what you might have, the wrong reg in with a rewired plug, it is just a thought, it did cross my mind for a while whilst trying to find a new reg for mine if this could be done, I think you need to try and get them to strip the panel down and actually have a look at this regulator, I wonder if a new regulator will solve your problem, I would be a bit dubious about them reprogramming unless they have already looked at this reg.

gazza66
Currently Drives:: Megane Convertable 04

Postby gazza66 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Superb answer Chrism. Im having a very similar problem with mine, its the rear drivers side window, works fine with its own button and the drivers door button but when you want it to close with the centre consol button this little bugger dont want to play ball, just sits there, what do you recon??

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:34 am

Again numerious people have had this problem but nobody seems to come back with a fix, I am guessing the center consul "all windows" button works on a differant circuit than the normal window button, the reg ECU has 6 wires going to it one will be earth, that leaves 5 wires, if these get wet does it screw up one side of the system dependant on what gets wet, who knows, Did a reg change sort the problem out, nodoy comes back with a fix so they are either still driving around with broken windows or took it to a garage who have sorted it out, so job done no need to worry my car is 7 years old so I have no intention of gaining large garage bills for it, plus a lot of them will just change everything at your cost instead of investigating it as it is easier to do that, I know as I have been stuck in the motor trade for to many years.
I think once these cars hit 10 years old and we start hitting the £2.5 to £3K mark for them we will get some good repair info as at 10 years old nobody will want to garage it unless you have to, as the bill could easily be more than the cars worth.
So your problem is across the board for a CC, mine simply chews cables for some reason, not had the switches doing differant things YET! it could be a wet ECU on your reg. may need drying out, trouble is you can't even get any decent wiring diagrams for this car any where on the web to see if there are any relays in this system for the windows, I have diaolgys which apparantly covers the CC but I can't get much info up on my car at all, once you start digging in depth into certain areas the program just shows the hatch back model, I wonder if it has a seperate modual for the CC like VW have for the EOS, only EOS trained Tecs are given the user name and password to enter the EOS section of ELSA.

gazza66
Currently Drives:: Megane Convertable 04

Postby gazza66 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Well, had a look toaday , to no avail, pulled the centre consul switch out , all looked good, finally got into the rear window motor ( how do you get the top bit of the back seat out ?, struggled a bit cos i left this in and had to kind of bend the panel out to try and get to the motor/ plug.) Any way i got in there and disconnected the 6 pin plug and all looked good, no corrosion but i did notice damp/rust on the body of the motor and there was water right in the bottom of the sill !! so water is getting in. Do you recon it could still be the regulator cos it still works on the other two buttons but not on the centre one ??

Return to “Megane CC”