Megan 2 cc A pillar external panel damaged

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Malroy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II CC

Megan 2 cc A pillar external panel damaged

Postby Malroy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Whilst driving the ally panel separated from its plastic attachment frame with a real bang (sounded like a gun shot), it had bent right back up to where the torx fixing held it at the top of the A Pillar. Basically it seems the glue that holds it on the plastic frame had let go. I'm looking for a replacement but no luck as they seem hard to get. Anyway, I'll repair the original as best I can for now and refit until I find a replacement. Three questions please:
1. Anyone been in same situation and can offer advice?
2. What glue should I use to re-bond ally panel to plastic frame?
3. I would really like to in some way mechanically fix the bottom of the ally panel to the plastic frame to remove the reliance on glue / adhesive, any ideas?
If anyone has done '3' above then I will do same to the offside trim which hasn't failed as I now worry about a glue only fix at motorway speeds.

Thanks

rdp1612
Currently Drives:: Renault megane ii cc 2004

Re: Megan 2 cc A pillar external panel damaged

Postby rdp1612 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi Malroy,

I had exactly the same issue with my cc. For me it was the driversside.

I also tried glue but if i look back now i would not recommend it.
After a six month search for a new panel without any luck i just ordered a new one!

If you order a new one this is complete with the plastic mountingpanel (it took my dealer a long time to figure out which part he needed).

My advise is to just order a new one, don’t forget that if you glue the panel and it let go again you can also harm other drivers!

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 am

Hi rdp1612,
Thank you for sharing your experience, absolutely correct on your last point re risk to other road users. I'll continue to look for a replacement but apart from it looking a bit unsightly, running without the ally panel is no issue for now. I've repaired the one that let go, cleaned away all the residual glue and continue to ponder how I can reattach it to its plastic frame using a screw, rivet or other method without it looking too obvious. Glue alone is a no no for me now. If I have no joy with the above I'll follow you and order new. How much did new cost if I may ask?
Cheers

rdp1612

Postby rdp1612 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 am

Hi Malroy,

No problem at all.
Just the panel cost me around €150 and with the paintjob, attaching it and labour costs it was in total around €300 ‘tax free’.

Good luck with the search!

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 am

Both of mine have come detached over the years, and left flapping around held in just with the torx screw at the top. I've tried various glues with varying success, but none last long. The strength required from the glue is made worse for me by the fact that my outer aluminium layers are now slightly bent and require more force to hold them back in place than when they were new.
So, I have resorted to drilling a hole through the aluminium front and the plastic backing and then bolting them together using a small coach bolt. I have painted the head of the bolt satin black (on a gold car) and made no attempt to hide it, and it just looks like a disused pillar mount for an old aerial or similar. Use the thinnest nuts you can, and position the holes carefully to minimise the amount of distortion caused by the thickness of the nut under the plastic, and by doing it just a few inches up from the bottom then only one bolt is required per side as the torx screw still holds the top.
I'm sure that won't be to everyone's taste, but it cost me nothing to fix and at least I'm totally sure mine won't ever fall off again.

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks very much,
I'll do something similar and yes the ally trim distorted for me too and I've been planishing it back as best I can to follow the contour of the plastic. I will need a replacement ultimately but for now it will do for fixing trials. I have a spool of stainless steel locking wire (at one time I worked on jet engines) and am contemplating putting two small holes through the ally and plastic frame near the lower end like you, feeding it through then twisting underneath which will pull the two items together securely. Bit of paint on top and it may not look to obvious. Like you I can't trust a glue only fix.
Cheers

rdp1612

Postby rdp1612 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 am

If you truly want to attach it for now i would recommend a (blind/ pop) rivet

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Most definitely an option if there is sufficient clearance for the rivet between the plastic frame and the A pillar structure. Had assumed there wouldn't be but I'll check it out. Thanks

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:01 am

Bit of an update:
1. Had to discount the pop rivet suggestion which is appreciated but there isn't sufficient clearance between the plastic frame and the A Pillar base structure, and I didn't want to drill into that.
2. Pics are the of the the original NS panel I've used as a test piece and refitted temporarily.
3. Not very elegant but the locking wire secures it very well and together with CT1 adhesive sealant the alloy panel and plastic frame seems pretty solidly fixed. With smaller holes for the wire, a little filler and some paint I don't think it will be that noticeable. Main thing is that it's secure.
4. Another option I'm thinking about is a self tapper through the alloy panel and into the head of the plastic fixing clip, the lower one just above the locking wire on my trial. Still thinking about that.
5. Checked the OS item and the adhesive was failing on that too so have removed it and again re-glued it with CT1 but yet to re-fit.
6. Now managed to source (yet to fit) a same colour replacement item from a Renault breakers for a very reasonable £20

All ideas still welcome

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 am

Hi all,
Well finally re-fitted both A Pillar trims and did what I said I didn't want to do which was fixing through the ally / plastic trim into the A panel itself with a self tapping screw. Why; well I can't forget what a bang it went with when my nearside item folded back at 70mph as it peeled back and hit the roof. Driving in the good Feb weather we had roof down I got to thinking what might of happened if the the trim had let go without the roof in place, scary thought! So decision made, no more would I rely on the glue and plastic trim clips alone even if the OEM did. Visible screw head doesn't look too bad on my 2004 cc and for me worth it for peace of mind.

Return to “Megane CC”