Anyone bought one yet

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

cbpete
Currently Drives:: mini cooper

Anyone bought one yet

Postby cbpete » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi Guys,
Me been looking at a 1.5dci privilege model liked the test drive and have booked one of the 24 hour ones as well from link on here. Just wondered if any of you have got one and what you think of it, better than last one?
cheer pete

john10001
Pass Plus

Re: Anyone bought one yet

Postby john10001 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:01 am

I have a Megane II and wouldn't recommend the Megane or any French car to my worst enemy.

I don't think the Megane III looks that great, its lost a little bit of its character and that was really the only reason to get a Megane apart from it being as cheap as chips. I think people went for the Megane II to be different to every other commoner driving around in a Focus or Golf. It looked better on the surface but underneath wasn't too great.

I'd say that if you're thinking of a Megane III consider instead the VW Scirocco(sp?) or even consider getting an Alfa. You'll have less trouble with the Alfa, and with the Scirocco(sp?) you get something that the new Megane III was trying to copy, but with VW you also get better reliability and not as many problems.

My next car will more than probably be German or Japanese with a slight possibility of a Vauxhall.

Cheers,

John

gait

Postby gait » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Pete,
I've seen the car 'in the wild' only once, which was last weekend. So I don't think you'll get a lot of reactions on if the car is really better then the megane II. Guess you can only really tell in a few months at least anyway.
Looking at the Laguna III they seem to have made a lot of progress on quality though, or at least on built quality. Hopefully this will show in Megane III on the long(er) term as well.

Have to say the video on how they assemble the laguna somehow doesn't really impress me that much: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfggu-hPXRs

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:24 am

Isnt the coupe out yet???

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:31 pm

I was on Renault's website and now you can design and configure your new Megane Coupe,so I should think it is out,haven't seen one yet,but I like it 8)
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

Eastside777
Currently Drives:: Renault Clio II

Postby Eastside777 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:02 pm

What are the dimensions of the new car?

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 pm

overall length: 4295mm
unladen height:1471mm
unladen height with tailgate open:1989mm
overall width / with door mirrors: 1785 / 1808mm

hope these help,otherwise have a look at their brochures ;-)
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 am

I saw the megane coupe on the road this morning, its very nice but needs larger alloys

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:42 pm

I've seen 3 of them in the last week. I've also noticed a great price on the Dealdrivers website.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Coupe released friday 23 Jan, was in my local stealers getting my old Mkii serviced and had a mouch around the new one, I do prefer the look of the coupe as opposed to the hatch,m that sweeping line of the rear window kind of does it for me, however inside is that a digital speedo - its a bit citroen and i dont like it, analogue is great and here is why - you only need to glance at it, as you know the rough position of the needle for the speeds, much like a watch, glance at analogue but have to read a digital, my view................. I just dont like them but if the car is a good drive, good build quality and the right price i may well buy one in about year which will be long enough for the major problems to surface for renaults new test drivers, sorry customers.
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:48 pm

a HUD option might be nice like on the BMW's

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:03 am

Saw my first one on the road yesterday (not many about). Car manufacturers must be gutted, years of planning to release a new model and a recession pops up :eek
Must say looks wise it didn't really do it for me, it was a silver/grey which is a colour i'm not keen on anyway. As a previous post said it seems to have lost character.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Don't buy it, Pete.

My curiosity took me to the Renault garage recently, and I looked at both the hatch and the coupe versions. I disliked three things about Megane III.

(1) The basic design of Megane III seems to be a coupe aimed at young males possibly with a sense of style. Unfortunately, male students tend to buy second hand cars and parents tend to buy Clios to their daughters. It was probably conceived as a more expensive version of Clio for boys. There will be problems with the target customer and, as a result, with perceived image of this car. One may choose a Scirocco instead.

(2) Obvious cheapness -- digital speedometer, hideous ceiling lights, silver painted strip of plastic on the dash, ESP is not standard (this is very important!), etc. The RS version will be better, but one can buy a second-hand Brera at its price!

(3) The body is not well designed -- bad rear visibility, it looks smaller inside than it is, the rear seats are pointless and should be removed, the rear impact protection is only marginal (see NCAP web site), the glove box is virtually gone, the new 2L diesel doesn't fit, [the comment regarding the headlight bulbs is removed, my mistake], etc. Look under the bonnet to see what I mean. There are no cutting edge engines and other technology -- the main attraction of the second generation of Renaults.

Sorry guys, I just don't get it. It looks good, I don't mind to rent it some day, but I don't want to own one.

cbpete wrote:Hi Guys,
Me been looking at a 1.5dci privilege model liked the test drive and have booked one of the 24 hour ones as well from link on here. Just wondered if any of you have got one and what you think of it, better than last one?
cheer pete

Added later:
It took time... Renaultsport 250 images are published. It seems the new Megane III was designed as Renaultsport 250 and then severely downgraded for mass customer. Weird logic, but I like what I see in the photographs below.
Last edited by AlexB on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm

AlexB wrote:no access to the light bulbs apart from the cheap petrol models, etc. Look under the bonnet to see what I mean.

Have a look at the online owners manual HEREand it shows the headlight pulls easily out to gain access to the bulbs. A lot easier than the faffing about we have to do now!!
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:51 pm

My mistake. Thanks for the link. The sales person, actually, told me that the headlight needs to be removed, which is slightly different from unfastening it and sliding it forward.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Megane III”