Clutch

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

PETEC
Currently Drives:: 2014 Renault Megan

Clutch

Postby PETEC » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:46 am

Hi I have a intermittent problem with the clutch peddle sticking to the floor. It only happens after using the clutch in traffic. I push the pedal down and it stays down I have to lift it with my toe then it won’t happen again for a couple of trips. I have read most of the clutch problems on here but none seem to describe the same problem,could anyone shed some light.

bobbaldilocks
Currently Drives:: Megane 2's and a Grand Espace and a 330d m sport Touring

Re: Clutch

Postby bobbaldilocks » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:00 am

Hi, I guess with the passage of time you'll now have resolved this but I have experienced exactly this scenario. My son has a 55 reg 1.5dci which I'd been driving prior to him taking ownership and all was good. I'd subsequently been providing some driving tuition to my daughter in law in the car and as you describe, the clutch pedal started to act up. I couldn't replicate the problem so I ignorantly put it down to her inexperience and it overheating perhaps with her slipping the clutch.
My son then started using the car full time for work. He drives in work boots and said that he'd experienced some clutch problems in slow moving traffic. I ignorantly put it down to his work boots!!
Fast forward to a frantic morning overloading the car with camping tackle and mates to set off to a music festival and a complete failure of the clutch ensues. Clutch pedal lifeless, fluid present in the reservoir, no visible signs of leaks.....job officially knackered. Luckily his father's Megane 2 estate provided a suitable transportation replacement to drop everyone there.
Fast forward to later that day when the traffic had died down and I thought that I'd go back to my Mark 2 Cortina days and try driving the Megane up to the garage about 5 miles away without the benefit of the clutch.
Good job it's a diesel and good job it had a new battery because the law of averages dictates that with around twenty sets of traffic lights 'Acceleration sense' and 'Engine braking' isn't going to beat the lights on every occasion! Cut a long story short it needed a full clutch kit and slave cylinder fitting. It was cheap enough, job all done for £300 ish from memory and touch wood it's been faultless since so one assumes the slave cylinder leak contaminated the clutch plate and cover. I also seem to recall it's a false economy to just do oe and not the other as the dismantling work involved in changing the clutch is similar if not the same as the work required to do replace the slave cylinder. I think the point of the tale here is that despite initial thoughts being that it was a master cylinder failure, there was no fault with that. Hope that helps.

Return to “Megane III”