Time to get rid?

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Chrali
Currently Drives:: 2012 Renault Megane 1.5 DCI Coupe

Time to get rid?

Postby Chrali » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:31 pm

I'm pondering what to do with my 2012 Megane Coupe 1.5dci. I've had this car for over 4 years as a cheap to to run car. I do over 20k a year driving and have put over 80k on it to bring it to its current 120k. My Meg has surpassed my expectations, on how it drives, its built quality and good looks and that 1.5 dci is a peach, smooth, creamy with lovely torque. I'm a press on driver and rarely felt short changed!

BUT recently,
The drivers door lock went out. Fitted a 2nd hand part which mostly works, but sometimes doesn't, so the trim is still off.
The a/c stopped working.
The front wipers have packed up in the heavy rain :( and then an emergency vehicle flicked a stone onto my windscreen edge, so a lovely 6 inch crack.

The wipers are the biggie.I've checked the engine bay fuses and they're ok. The scuttle is clear, but this did flood last year, causing water in the car and heater motor to sporadically cut out, which has been fine since then, but perhaps the wipers suffered due to that. I'll check the linkages and earth tomorrow, but if no joy then I'll get it to a garage to quote on it.

Mechanically its tip top and I've always used genuine, or M+H filters and high quality oil every 9k. Cosmetically it shows its 120k of motorway speed stone chips and Norfolk hedges pin striping.

Thing is at 120k now its worth say what £1 to 2k.
Its also a struggle as I have to lift my dog in and out via the high boot due to joint problems, but sucked it up whilst all was well with it.

So assume windscreen 90+, A/C is 200+, wipers 300+, door 300+ and due timing belt 300+ within 25k, aka next year at my mileage.
An thats before you consider at that I'm going to need clutch and potentially DM flywheel for extra £500-1000.

This means basically these repairs will exceed my cars value.

I do wonder whether its time to fix it, as for an extra couple of k I could get a nice 50k vehicle that would meet my needs more, 1 was a 2008 Grand Espace 2.0l which I'm liking a lot!

So what would you do?

Encourage alternative fuels, use all the petrol and diesel!

Chrali
Currently Drives:: 2012 Renault Megane 1.5 DCI Coupe

Re: Time to get rid?

Postby Chrali » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:06 pm

I had a genuine Renault part wiper motor fitted by my local garage for £373.
Wipers are sooo underrated :grin

Encourage alternative fuels, use all the petrol and diesel!

Return to “Megane III”