can you tell when the cambelt should be changed
its done 77,000 miles
I think its 72k or 5 years but the guy selling it saying its 100k

thank you

copas
Currently Drives:: Megane coupe MK3

Re: cambelt change

Postby copas » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 am

I have not seen Renaults recommendation but the Haynes manual advises 72000 miles or 6 years whichever is the sooner.

Recently was in Halfords autocentre and they gave a quote for a whopping £1050, this was for cambelt + new water pump (recommended when changing cambelt) and replacement coolant. Obviously this is going to be a top end price but probably good backup from Halfords if anything went wrong. If you get any prices please post.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Water pump advised only to be fair every one will tell you change it. I had a mk2 cc Diesel for 8 years drive it from 39k to well over 160k it had 3 cam belt changes never a water pump and it never leaked once so never changed it, was i lucky who knows my Tec tells me it's down to the person fitting it more often than not some people over tension the belt which puts strain on the pump spindle which in turn leaks.
I have just had my belt done on my mk3 always genuine parts for me with cam belts again no water pump (as usual, probably cause I am Welsh and tight) but I do always change Aux belt as well trade price on the mk3 kit was £140 and the Aux belt £110 as it comes with a tensioner now so mk3 belts are not cheap.
I think it is 72k or 6 years but I do them anyway as soon as I buy a new car better safe than sorry. OMG though a thousand pounds i would die at that mine cost me £80 Labour plus the above parts and was done on the drive of a renault tec

beverley101
Currently Drives:: Megane Scenic '06

Postby beverley101 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Maybe my info is out of date but I had the same problem of expense of changing all the belts on a "X" turbo Diesel. Found a marvellous main dealer/garage on the main road into Ostend - address is Leplae Renault Torhoursesteenweg 654, Oostende 8400 - tel - +3259280310, turn left off N33 J5 towards Ostende . Receptionist spoke perfect English and basically - get the car there by 8am and it will be ready by 5pm. Might be worth giving them a call at least 2 weeks ahead. Train fare then + almost empty tank (enough to get there from London and back to Calais to refuel) + 20L Jerry can + 12 bottles of a certain French liqueur and I made a good profit. Getting up at 2 am was the hard part.

Return to “Megane III”