Particulate Filter (FAP) issue! Please Help!!??

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Darren5354
Currently Drives:: 2011 Renault Megane 1.9 Dci Dynamique TOM TOM Mark 3

Particulate Filter (FAP) issue! Please Help!!??

Postby Darren5354 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm sorry to post this here but I don't seem to be getting a response to my posts elsewhere??

I own a 2011 Renault Megane 1.9 Dci Dynamique TOM TOM Mark 2.

I have an OBD diagnostic system. I have recently Had 2 faults.

The first issue was with my injectors. There was pressure being released passed the end injector on the right. Resulting in lots of oil down the right-hand side of the engine. After my investigation, I found that the two injectors on the right were fitted with no copper Shims (Seals). I cleaned everything including the engine and refitted the injectors (all four) with new Shims (Copper seals). There was a marked improvement on the running and sound of the engine.

The second issue is causing me far more problems! The fault code is indicating that there is a problem with the Particulate filter. According to the research that I have done so far, apparently it can become clogged with soot? All I have done so far is add a DPF cleaner to my tank, so far it doesn't seem to have achieved anything?

Have you ever had a similar fault and if so, how have you repaired it?
Is it possible at all to clean the filter?
I'm not even sure if the Particulate filter is integral to the catalytic converter or not??

All the engine management lights are lit on the dash. I am unable to reset them? Judging be the performance of the car, I believe it is in the 'Limp Home Mode'? Do you know how this can be reset? or is that impossible until the Filter is repaired?

I know there are a lot of questions here but any help/advice at all, would be gratefully received?

Thank you so much for your time.

Darren5354
Currently Drives:: 2011 Renault Megane 1.9 Dci Dynamique TOM TOM Mark 3

Re: Particulate Filter (FAP) issue! Please Help!!??

Postby Darren5354 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 am

Just for those of you that are interested, as I have had no replies to my posts?

After a lot of research. I learned that the PAF needs to go through a regeneration process. At low temperatures the PAF builds up with soot/carbon. Once the exhaust/PAF reaches a higher temperature its starts to burn off that build-up of soot. (This is why the PAF is inclined to block where city/town driving is predominant) I found out that for the regeneration process to commence the car needs to be driven above 50mph for at least 20mins.

My car was performing extremely badly. so much so, that I thought that it had gone into 'Limp Home' mode. All the dash warning lights were lit, including the 'Engine at risk of damage' and 'STOP'. When I tried to reset these using my OBD II, they just flashed.

What I did was purchase a DPF cleaner from Halfords and put it in my tank, I then took my car on my local motorway and drove one way for 15min doing 60mph in 4th gear (not that I recommend the 4th gear, that was just my choice with the belief that it will get the exhaust nice and hot) I then drove back for 15mins using the gears as normal. Even at that point I could feel and hear a vast improvement in the cars performance! By the time I got home the car was performing even better than it was before I repaired my injector fault! I then used my OBD II to reset the fault code and dash lights that reset just as they should. The car has performed perfectly ever since!

So, to sum up, to keep your PAF at a serviceable level you should do some motorway miles every so often but of course this doesn't negate the fact that you should service the vehicle every 9000miles or 1 year whichever comes first.

I really hope this helps any of you out there that may be suffering the same issue that I had. Good luck.

Thank you kindly, Darren

Return to “Megane III”