De-Badging

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

copas
Currently Drives:: Megane coupe MK3

De-Badging

Postby copas » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:56 am

Hi All,

just wondering if anyone has any experience of de-badging. I really like the i-music I have, mainly bought this edition for the alloy wheel style and rear parking sensors. However I don't think the i-music logos do much for the car (on the rear quarter panels). Just wanted to know if anyone has removed and how cleanly they came of. If there's a risk of paint damage I would rather live with the badges. I doubt the badges have a pin locator, probably held on with adhesive foam?. Of course another problem is the paint may have faded as well leaving a imprint behind the badge. Any hints/experience in this area?.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: De-Badging

Postby Stranger » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:40 am

Last time I de-badged anything I used a hair drier to warm and melt the glue then slid an old credit card carefully between badge and bodywork

Job done after a bit of polishing to remove and residue.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

copas
Currently Drives:: Megane coupe MK3

Postby copas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:57 am

thanks for that, I had heard of the hairdryer technique but the credit card was new to me and sounds a great tip. Also since looking came across advise to remove foam adhesive remains with tar remover. Still not sure whether to attempt as its in such a prominent area of the car. If it went wrong and left any sort of mark I would probably have to buy new badges to recover as I cant see normal double sided sticky foam lasting outdoors.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 pm

You should be ok so long as you follow the tar remover instructions.

I have some Tardis which is nasty stuff if used incorrectly but I've never come a cropper using it correctly.

I would advise, in case your tar remover doesn't mention it, not to use on an area if it's had any non original paint, i.e. A respray or touch up as there's s good chance there'll be no lacquer over and you could remove the paint.

if in doubt test on an inconspicuous area first, under the sill or in a door shut are good places.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Megane III”