Hidden boot storage for the Mégane III

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

SirSerf
Currently Drives:: Megane TomTom Dynamique 1.5dCi (2013)

Hidden boot storage for the Mégane III

Postby SirSerf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Keeping the boot of my car tidy has always been challenge for me! There always were the essential bits and pieces you needed to carry in your boot that never seemed to have a proper home, like wheel the nut extension lever, jump leads, can of de-icer or the warning triangle.
When looking to change my car I came across a number of models that had various forms of concealed compartments in their boots. Clever idea to make use of the vacant boot space now that most car manufactures don't see the need to give spare wheels with their models anymore!
The Mégane III does have a small recessed well when you lift the boot liner up, but not really storage except for a litre of oil and a chammy. So I decided to construct some hidden boot storage for the Mégane III.

The first hint of something different when you lift the back hatch is that the boot isn't as deep as you'd expect on a Mégane, which thankfully for me does have quite a deep drop from the boot lip.

Using the existing folding boot liner I raised up the floor by approx. 4" giving a concealed storage space underneath.

I reinforced the front half of the liner with 3/8" ply and it hinges up nicely on the existing crease in the liner

For the back half I left the ply loose to rest on the supports

With the liner and ply removed you can see how much storage was created!

The raised support is made from three interlocking sections of layered ply that can be easily disassembled when I want to revert the boot back to it's original or for ease of access to the spare wheel if needed.

So far this mod has been working out fine and I haven't missed not having the original depth of the boot!

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Hidden boot storage for the Mégane III

Postby Stranger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Cracking mod, nice one :-)
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Megane III”