The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

candleman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane3 Sports Tourer 1.5dci 110 Expression+

Temp gauge

Postby candleman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi all,

For my sins I have just bought my second 1.5dci Sports Tourer this time the Mk3 and I have a question for other owners. I notice the temp display doesn't rise gradually like on an analogue gauge but seems to jump between the markers. It seems to be either at the bottom maybe 1/8th or half way, nothing in between. Is this correct?

If not then I am suspecting a faulty temp gauge sender as I am not getting the mpg (50mpg best) I was on my old car (regular 55 mpg) and this is the eco version.

thanks
Candleman
How many more times, it's not an estate it's a SPORTS TOURER
Azzuro Blue 1.5dci 110 Expression+ Sports Tourer

steve-t
Advanced Driver

Re: Temp gauge

Postby steve-t » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 am

I have a 2013 1.5 dci 110 my temp gauge rises smoothly from bottom to normal running temp.
Normal for mine is 48mpg.
Steve

candleman
Learner Driver

Postby candleman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I was guessing that was what was supposed to be happening. Mine sits in the bottom quadrant then seems to leap to half way and occasionally drop back again. I suspect a faulty temp sender, fortunately I'm still under a 3 month warrantee so I will keep an eye on it before going back to the dealer.

candleman

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:31 pm

my 110 dci tom tom will only do about 47mpg in winter and about 53mpg in summer. Temp gauge wise, in winter mine rarely moves off the first block on the open road and if in town it will sometimes go to halfway. I think there must be sensor on the injection system that pumps more fuel into the engine if it appears to be running cold. Remember in the 70's most french cars could be fitted with a radiator blind for the winter as the heaters were designed for mediteranian climate and you could never get warm, wonder whether this would be an option but wary about overheating.
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

candleman
Learner Driver

Postby candleman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:42 pm

I have now had the car for little over a month. Fuel economy is still not brilliant. I am still convinced that either the thermostat is stuck open or the temperature sender isn't reading correctly,

I drive 20 miles to work and back again and the temp gauge very rarely rises out of the first segment. Sometimes it jumps to the half way point but not often and it doesn't always stay there when it does, dropping back to the first segment.

To check the temperature I fitted an OBD tester to the socket and after 45 minutes on a mix of fast A road and town driving the water temp never got over 72 degrees

My old 1.5dci was always warmed up after about 10 or so minutes and was pretty stable what ever the outside temp.

Has anyone had similar problems or is this normal behaviour?

Candleman

steve-t
Advanced Driver

Postby steve-t » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Just realised with mine being a GTLine I get a dial not a lcd screen thing.
However water temp should be higher than that.
I'll connect my obd2 Wed and put up result
Steve

candleman
Learner Driver

Postby candleman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks Steve-t, It will be interesting to see your results.

It's a little warmer outside today so I am going to plug the OBD in again tonight and monitor the results to see if the outside air temp makes a difference. It was noticeable that the temp gauge did reach the half way point this morning and stay there for the first time. It has been very chilly the last few weeks, minus figures morning & evening, and it could be that this model just doesn't like the cold air.

Candleman

antonmd
Currently Drives:: mk lll megane

Postby antonmd » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:51 pm

im having this same problem on my 12 plate megane 1.5dci ive also got a check anti polution light on the dash witch makes me think the cold running engine isnt clearing the dpf ???

candleman
Learner Driver

Postby candleman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:34 pm

OK as promised here's the data from my OBD software.

The data is 2 reading taken a minute apart at the end of a 40 minute journey (approx 20 miles). A mix of town & fast A road (70mph) driving. It was a cold morning (0) and dark all lights & heaters on, but not air con.
Coolant temp is reading 72 deg. To be honest it climbs up to 72 after about 10 mins and then it doesn't move.

Time = 15:01.0
Calculated engine load [%] = 57.6
Engine Coolant Temperature [°C] = 71
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure [kPa] = 147
Engine RPM [RPM] = 1381
Vehicle Speed Sensor [km/h] = 36
Intake Air Temperature [°C] = 5
Air Flow Rate from Mass Flow Sensor [g/s] = 22.61
Fuel Rail Pressure [kPa] = 57800
Fuel consumption [l/100km] = 11.5
Battery voltage [V] = 11.8

Time = 16:00.0
Calculated engine load [%] = 5.5
Engine Coolant Temperature [°C] = 72
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure [kPa] = 109
Engine RPM [RPM] = 1072
Vehicle Speed Sensor [km/h] = 53
Intake Air Temperature [°C] = 3
Air Flow Rate from Mass Flow Sensor [g/s] = 14.42
Fuel Rail Pressure [kPa] = 24700
Fuel consumption [l/100km] = 0.5
Battery voltage [V] = 11.8

I have taken readings over several days, even when the air temperature was a little warmer (5) i didn't get much over the 72 deg, but his shouldn't matter much as any engine should reach operating temp whatever the weather. According to the read out the thermostat hasn't opened yet which happens at 85 deg. The cabin heater is toasty hot by this time

In my mind there are 2 possible reasons for the cold running
a) thermostat stuck open or opening to soon
b) the temp sensor is malfunctioning

Anyone else got any thoughts

Candleman

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 pm

might be worth getting a thermostat and trying it, if anyone does let me know, see my new post aout sitting in a snowstorm for an hour.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

candleman
Learner Driver

Postby candleman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Just an update.

Since the weather has started improving the temperature gauge has started getting up to the half way point more often. Fuel economy has improved too, almost the same as my old 1.5dci. Thinking back to my old car it didn't much like the cold weather either and I suspect that the 1.5 diesel just isn't good in the cold weather.

One other thing I have noticed, if I'm on a fast road, once the temp gauge reaches the half way is sometimes drops back to the first "wedge" before jumping back to the half way mark after a few minutes more. The way the gauge works too is rubbish, who at Renault thought this was good idea?

I'm not so concerned at the moment, I need to sort out an intermittent air bag light which doesn't stay on long enough to register as a fault on the ecu so it can't be traced until it does.

Candleman

Return to “Megane III”