Where is the fuel filter??

Discussions on the Megane II sedan

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

biologist
Currently Drives:: 2 x Megane 2L Sedans

Where is the fuel filter??

Postby biologist » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi folks, I've asked this question on the Aussiefrogs forum but no-one seems to know the answer. I own two Megane sedans, one a 2007 the other a 2008, both with the 2L engine and auto boxes. One of the cars has an intermittent power loss problem and from prior experience it seems like it might be a blocked fuel filter. I've read the various queries and responses on this forum but none of the cars discussed are the 2L model. I have a feeling that this car's filter is incorporated into the fuel tank sender unit but I've not been able to confirm that.

Anyone know for sure where or if this could be the problem? Unfortunately the power loss has never happened when I'm driving the car so I only have my wifes description of what happens, but the last time it happened the car stalled on her and in an auto when your trying to pull out into a busy road thats rather scary. She now refuses to drive the car and I'm scratching my head trying to think of why its doing this. The fuel filter was my first and still, my only sensible thought. The car has only done around 75,000 km and is otherwise in fine knick.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

cheers, bio

biologist
Currently Drives:: 2 x Megane 2L Sedans

Re: Where is the fuel filter??

Postby biologist » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:46 am

OK, I've now experienced the loss of power issue and its the car going into limp mode.
I suspect the gearbox, its the four speed auto box, any suggestions for other problems or fixes?

cheers,

phaeton

Postby phaeton » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Sorry I cannot confirm in the 2L but in my 1.9DCi it's in the wheel arch above the liner behind the offside headlight.

Alan...

kirvas
Currently Drives:: Megane II Sedan "Extreme", manuf. 2007 Turkey, 1.6AT

Postby kirvas » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 pm

i'm not sure if the topic starter still needs the answer. but just in case anyone else will need...
my knowledge is based on Megane II assembled in Turkey. before mid of 2007 megane had a fine fuel filter - it was located near the left rear wheel under the bottom of the car. after mid of 2007 - not any more. nevertheless this fuel filter usually didn't affect much on the stream. In case driver feels the loss of power (especially while trying to speed up fast) during warm/hot weather the reason usually is the dying fuel pump. in fact 75000 at odometer can be enough for the issue if driver usually has an empty tank because the pump is cooled down by the gasoline in the tank. to fix this you have 2 opportunities: replace the fuel pump which is a rather expensive assembly (about 500euros - sorry, hard for me to calculate in pounds); or - disassemble the fuel pump and replace only a motor inside it. this costs just about 20-30 euros and you don't need to look for a renault one - this is a common part produced by various manufactures and used in many cars, i used bosch and siemens in mine and sister's cars. the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank and is accessible from the back seat of the car - you need to lift up the rear seat and will see the circle covering the pump. in case pictures needed - let me know.

Return to “Megane Sedan”