Cam belt change

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Gazzer83
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Mk1 1.6 16V

Cam belt change

Postby Gazzer83 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:15 pm

What a nightmare. Water pump leaking, changed, New cambelt, tensioner and idler. I have never taken so long to do such a simple job. Never again on this car.

Gazzer83
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Mk1 1.6 16V

Re: Cam belt change

Postby Gazzer83 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Further to doing the cambelt. I made the holding tool with a bit of flat bar and my welder. If you buy a decent kit, such as Dayco, then the caps for the ends of the cams come as part of the kit. I used the little torque gun from Machine Mart which cost approx £28.00. No probs undoing and tightening all the bolts, including the one on the crank. BIGGEST THING TO REMEMBER IS " MARK EVERYTHING WITH TIPEX OR A PAINT PEN AND LINE EVERYTHING UP AND LOCK IT. I am lucky that i have an engine hoist to lift it up and down to do the bolts etc. If you have hands like shovels, be prepared to loose lots of skin and blood. Just take your time. It is no more complicated than any other it just takes longer A lot longer.
Vive La France
Gary

jamesjupp
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1 coupe - 2000 - 1.6 16v

Re: Cam belt change

Postby jamesjupp » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:03 am

interesting that you could do it all with the gun, i remember tightening the bottom bolt on my 16v 1.6 and we had to hang on a scaffold bar to get it tight enough!!!

Return to “Megane I”