Need help with steering lock and ignition key not turning

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Parsonsd
Currently Drives:: 1998 renault megane cabriolet

Need help with steering lock and ignition key not turning

Postby Parsonsd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:07 am

what happens if i can't take the steering lock off my car and key wont turn? Or what does this mean? I parked up last night, seen a friend, and about an hour later jumped into the car, put key into ignition, went to turn the steering wheel to the right, but the key woulnt turn over, therefore the steering lock was stuck too =/ I have triedn wiggling both key and wheel at same time, i have tried putting pressure on the wheel. I have also sprayed wd40 down the ignition barrel for a long period of time and putting key in and out, then trying it, and still nothing.. The car is not parked up close to a kerb, nor are the wheels against something. Not sure on what else to do or try before i have to call somebody in and spend some money that i dont really have! lol! Any advice will help guys! Thanks in advance!

Kylegypo
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Extreme blue, Renault Megane Sport Hatch 1.9dCI

Re: Need help with steering lock and ignition key not turnin

Postby Kylegypo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Mine did this last month. It was a dead battery, try jump it and then get it tested.

Parsonsd
Currently Drives:: 1998 renault megane cabriolet

Postby Parsonsd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi. My battery seems fine. The lights, the dash, the immobilisor and cd player works, just cant seem to turn the key to get the steering lock off! Its doing my head in now lol! Just had to get my car towed from where it was back to mine, and the recovery chap said something about a bolt in the ignition barrel, cant really recall exactly what he said though =/ If this means anything to you?

MicKPM
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II dCi, LAguna II GT Turbo (Petrol), Renault 19 16v (Ex-Tim Harvey RDR shell)

Postby MicKPM » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Does the key work the door lock? Sounds like the barrel/key is worn and so you will need to replace it.

To get the ignition lock out of the steering column you normally need the key in a certain position but you won't be able to do this... brute force and some surgical destruction will be needed i'm afraid.

Mick

Return to “Megane I”