i driving to france in 3 weeks and car ill help!!!!!

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

woolymammy
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE

i driving to france in 3 weeks and car ill help!!!!!

Postby woolymammy » Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm

hi

Im new here but would appreciate some advice i have a 2001 megane.
the car is running lovely (bit jittery now and then but nothing unusual)

the car engine management light has come on & when it was read it has a 202 cat reading on it.
we have had a previous prob with the car and the garage suspects it could be the injectors.
i have found a set of injectors (scrap yard ) before i get them changed as it sounds like a complicated job
i just need the light to go out i put cataclean in it tonight but no improvement as yet?

any ideas for another solution to the problem?

as the title says we are driving to the south of france the first week of june so really need it fixed fast?
help!!!!!!!!! :banghead

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: i driving to france in 3 weeks and car ill help!!!!!

Postby davelowe » Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 pm

"P0202 means that the PCM detected a fault in the injector or the wiring to the injector. It monitors the injector and when the injector is activated, the PCM expects to see the voltage pulled "low" or close to zero. When the injector is switched off, the PCM expects to see a voltage that is close to battery voltage or "high". If it doesn't see the expected voltage the PCM will set this code. The PCM also monitors resistance in the circuit. If the resistance is excessively low or high it will set this code.

Potential Symptoms

The symptoms for this code will likely be a misfire and a rough running engine. Poor acceleration. The MIL will also be illuminated.

Causes

The causes of a P0202 engine light code could be any of the following:

Bad injector. This is usually the cause of this code but doesn't rule out the possibility of one of the other causes
Open in the wiring to the injector
Short in the wiring to the injector
Bad PCM

Possible Solutions

First, using a DVOM check the resistance of the injector. If it isn't within specs, then replace the injector.
Check for voltage at the fuel injector connector. It should have 10 volts or more.
Visually check the connector for damage or broken wires.
Visually check the injector for damage.
If you have access to an injector tester, activate the injector and see if it operates. If the injector operates, then you likely have either an open in the wiring, or a blocked injector. If you do not have access to a tester, swap the injector with another one and see if the code changes. If the code changes, then change the injector.
At the PCM, remove the driver wire from the PCM connector and Ground the wire. (Make sure you have the correct wire. If you're not sure, do not attempt) The injector should activate
Replace the injector"

Source: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0202

Now, that all sounds straightforward. However, the fuel delivery on the MKII injectors is measured then coded to the ECU. I have no idea whether this applies to the MKI as I have never owned one.

So, there are various methods of diagnosing the problem, but I would first use the multimeter approach to compare each of the injector's voltages and resistances. One that varies in either parameter would indicate a fault EITHER with the wiring;the ECU; or the injector itself. This avoids disturbing the fuel delivery pipework, which on the MKII can be very expensive to replace.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

woolymammy
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE

Re: i driving to france in 3 weeks and car ill help!!!!!

Postby woolymammy » Sun May 06, 2012 8:45 pm

thanks for the reply

i booked it in to a garage
drove to a local scrappy bought a set of injectors.

and then ............................

on way home from the scrappy the engine light went off all on its own!!!!!!!!!!!

b@@@@y thing i couldn't believe it ( i actually was like victor meldrew for a while)

so the engine clean must have worked so fingers crossed this is the end of it at least until we come back from France.
:banghead :grin

Return to “Megane I”