flywheel & engine bottom end bust

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mkjonhston
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2003 1.9dci, 8 valves

flywheel & engine bottom end bust

Postby mkjonhston » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Here there!

Probably, it makes sense for you to take a look at below video to hear the engine sound before reading below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmWF5-dMd8

I own a RHD Renault Megane 2003, engine 1.9dci diesel, 8 valves 1870 cm3.
This "beauty" engine died at 80k miles on the clock, without any apparent reason, while driven with 30 mph on a clear straight city road within UK.
Symptoms:
- gradually, a strange engine sound started to develop without any apparent impact on the car's engine functionality - I was able to drive it for another 3-4 miles.
- the sound started to increase in intensity and eventually I could notice the engine loosing power & RPM speed.
- turned the car on the left, stopped the engine, did a visual inspection of the engine/engine oil - nothing wrong
- I could not start the engine again - it would start spinning for 3-4 times but just on battery, it would not actually start.

First diagnostic:
A) dual-mass flywheel & clutch broken - need to be replaced.
Quotes:
a) Renault Dealer - &1750 for dual-mass flywheel & clutch replacement.
Oooooh my god, I need a hand-full of aspirins
b) Two garages gave me similar quotes of &1000 - I hired one of them to do the job
All nice and well, they changed the broken dual-mass flywheel but when they tried to start the engine, they could hear the engine sound from the youtube link.

As a result, another diagnostic:
B) Engine needs to be replaced.

I don't really trust this garage any more - this wasn't really a diagnostic at all.

Anyone, any ideas of what it could be?

Really appreciate !

Return to “Megane I”