SECURITY ALARM

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: SECURITY ALARM

Postby davelowe » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:33 pm

It could be that the two events are not related. I don't know about the CC, but I believe that the alarm is activated by a change in air pressure. If the roof isn't a snug fit, you might have a problem...
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: SECURITY ALARM

Postby ChrisM » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 am

Very doubtful they are related, you can change fob batteries till your hearts content same as the Meg 2 should not make an ounce of difference to the car, I changed my wife’s Coupe fob battery a few months back with no trouble.
have you hung one of those air fresh trees on the mirror, they can set if off, if not sounds like you have an alarm problem, I think the Meg 1 cab is a lot more temperamental than the Meg 2 CC it has a lot more sensors dotted around it, I don't think they are air pressure sensitive due to its canvas roof, just a standard ultrasonic, some times a sun visor can activate them if left down but not fully against the screen, also make sure boot and bonnet are shut correctly, does your interior light come on with both doors as I am sure the alarm also monitors the door switches as well as boot n bonnet, so if for example you open your passenger door and no light comes on it could be that door switch shorting which the alarm "sees" as an entry.
Of Course we are all assuming this is a standard Manufacture alarm and not an after market fitment, with an aftermarket fob, if I remember rightly the Megs 1s came as standard with just an immobiliser and no alarm, when purchased from new you could "add" and alarm to the spec pack, it was only the cabrio that had a standard alarm, they did go wrong and owners did have them bypassed and a new system installed, because the key is the blade type you can get aftermarket fobs to insert he blade into, they do not look like the standard Renault key fob, all black with the button in the middle, at 2001 I would think it is the Renault one as they improved them on the Phase 2, just make sure you have nothing in the car to set it off and all switches Boot, doors etc are ok, I kind of remember the bonnet switch on the phase one use to cause problems, I think it use to be in a water run when it rained or was washed as it use to corrode at the base, can't remember fully as it was a LONG time ago we where Renault dealers, around 2002 we got rid.
Not a great deal of help I know but electrics on these cars are a big problem, we use to have roughly around 10 hard back manuals per model with between 2 and 12 sections per book out of the 10 books 6 of them would be electrics alone, over half, clio,s had around 7 on electrics and the Espace had shelves of books on electrics, 1st port of call as said is the switches! All of them.... Every one always thinks ultra sonics not always could well be a bonnet switch, that will set it off as it thinks there is a bonnet intrusion same goes for boot
Good luck hope it is a simple fix, we had one in many years ago with the same fault, turns out the lady had hung a charm type small teddy bear from the mirror, which was fine as it was tiny but as soon as a puff of wind moved the car it made the charm swing a little setting off alarm, we had another guy with a 2.2IDE cabrio whos sun vsior set it off, when he drove it it pushed visor to the screen, out of the path of the ultra sonics when his wife drove it who was smaller she pulled visor down so it was vertical, when locked alarm went off as soon as the ultra sonics where initalised basically the postion of the sun visor was breaking "line of sight" for the drivers ultra sonic, so you see it does not always have to be complicated.

Return to “Megane I”