Megane 2000 soft top rear wheel bearings

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

pixiehex

Megane 2000 soft top rear wheel bearings

Postby pixiehex » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:54 am

Hi, I have a rear wheel bearing that rumbles quite badly, how easy are these to replace? I good with spanners ect but have a feeling I would need a press to get them out and the new one in, or can you do a makeshift with a large vice and right size socket? Anyone out there that has changed a bearing? Any help or advice would be great!
John...

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Megane 2000 soft top rear wheel bearings

Postby ChrisM » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Changed fronts on a 99 V plate and yes deffinatly needed a press they where mega tight, you could try taking off the hub then taking it to a local garage to see how much they will press it out for, they are usually quite tight, however some people have poped em out with a vice, I don't think pressing them in going by my fronts is the problem it seems to be getting them out and especially starting them moving is where the force needs to be high.
Hope tihs helps a little
Last edited by ChrisM on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:36 pm

hi, if there the same as mine the bearings come with the discs and they are very simple to change, just make sure you dont over/under tighten them as this will cause the bearings to go once again, the only tool that i didnt have was a star shaped socket, but got one from machine mart in a set at£20.
hope thats some help!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 am

if there the same as mine the bearings come with the discs and they are very simple to change

This is a Meg 1, Soft top, could be wrong but I am sure they are drum rear brakes, the wifes 99 Coupe is, so can't see this being much differant a year on.

Much easier if they are discs as you say bearing comes with disc if you buy genuine Renault, so just slide it on, simple.
:cool:

Return to “Megane I”