Megane fidji DCI 1.9 2002

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

macd1
Currently Drives:: 1.9 DCI fidgi 02 plate

Megane fidji DCI 1.9 2002

Postby macd1 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:10 pm

I have trouble when in first gear the car does not pick up. not all the time just evey noew and again.
I put the car in to first gear put foot on excalator car moves slowly then picks up and away I go. It will run for a while no problem then again I have difficulty pulling away any Ideas my first Renault?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Megane fidji DCI 1.9 2002

Postby davelowe » Sun May 30, 2010 10:38 pm

fidji is not something I understand.

It sounds like your turbo isn't boosting correctly (spooling up). I had a similar problem caused by a multitude of things which I intend to write up - but the most important thing is the quality of the oil you have in the car. In my case this turned out to be the pivotal factor.

One question, if you put it in neutral and floor the throttle, do the revs rise slowly and then all of a sudden, all is back to normal (sudden rapid rev increase)?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

macd1

Postby macd1 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:47 am

Fidji is the trim half leather etc.
I went out this morning started reved up in neutrol rev counter climbed I noticed nothing unusual. Got car up to temp driving around, left it for half an hour. Tried again this time struggled on low reves in neutrol then picked up, then when pulling away struggled then picked up and pulled away. Why would this have anything to do with the oil? I do know it supposedly had a service before I bought it. Please advise.

Are there any garages that deal with renaults other than main dealers in Birmingham area?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon May 31, 2010 10:39 pm

Okay.

Your problem seems similar to mine which is now cured.

The oil issue is due to grade, temperature and viscosity. The oil thickens as it heats. When bad specification oil is used, it accumulates dirt in the turbo feed and return pipes (small diameter). Thicker oil prevents good circulation to the turbo bearings, so it refuses to spin - hence the lack of performance. Revving the engine increases the oil pressure and frees up the dirt, so performance returns. The problem is that the oil is still contaminated with the dirt (albeit in a black suspension) so the fault recurs.

The cure is very simple. Change the oil to Mobil 1 0W40. Clean the breather system and intake manifold and EGR valve (have a look on here for my posts on such matters as well as others'). Drive around 1000 miles, then repeat. Repeat again until cured.

It is very important to use the correct oil. The Renault engines will not tolerate a jug of whatever the local garage has as a 'do it all' mix.

AlexB has posted very extensively on oil specs. Also oilman who runs the website opieoils.co.uk from which you should obtain oil and filter - with a discount for being a member here.

macd1

Postby macd1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:53 pm

[quote="davelowe"]Okay.

Your problem seems similar to mine which is now cured.

The oil issue is due to grade, temperature and viscosity. The oil thickens as it heats. When bad specification oil is used, it accumulates dirt in the turbo feed and return pipes (small diameter). Thicker oil prevents good circulation to the turbo bearings, so it refuses to spin - hence the lack of performance. Revving the engine increases the oil pressure and frees up the dirt, so performance returns. The problem is that the oil is still contaminated with the dirt (albeit in a black suspension) so the fault recurs.

The cure is very simple. Change the oil to Mobil 1 0W40. Clean the breather system and intake manifold and EGR valve (have a look on here for my posts on such matters as well as others'). Drive around 1000 miles, then repeat. Repeat again until cured.

It is very important to use the correct oil. The Renault engines will not tolerate a jug of whatever the local garage has as a 'do it all' mix.

AlexB has posted very extensively on oil specs. Also oilman who runs the website opieoils.co.uk from which you should obtain oil and filter - with a discount for being a member here.

Thanks I will give this a go also registered with oilman

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Let us know how you get on. I'm jealous of the leather seats by the way!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Davelowe

The oil thickens as it heats

I think you may find that is the other way around, as oil temp rises the thinner the oil gets which is why some vehicle owner manuals give differant oil specs for differant climates, to use a thicker oil say 20/50 in Artic conditions would be madness as the oil would be to thick to turn over the engine at the extremes of minus temps but would be ok once warm, if you have ever seen the warm oil draining from a sump you will know exactly what I mean, engine knocking is always listerned for with a warm engine as the thicker cold oil takes up any play till it thins out when warm; and here come the noises.

Oil is a major speciality of which I prfuse not much knowledge apart from general motor trade knowledge, one of the most important things with oil is qualitiy, for example as a young man I use to by oil from Asda (own brand) and even Kwicks as it was dirt cheap, yet after say 1000mls I would find my engine noisey and clackerty I once drained it all out after a month and you could have sworn it had been in there for a year it was that thin with no body at all let alone viscosity, It seems to be all in the adatives, I think most synthetics are good these days as are most of the semi synthetics, but it most casee it is all about finding a good oil for your car, my old fiat Bravo would run on nothing but Synta Gold Fully synthetic but it would last a good 12 months yet my Honda motor cycle ate through it in less than 6 months, my wifes meg Coupe petrol loves Quatum Multigrade advanced will last a good 12 months with no loss in qaulity visually yet in knocked and rattled on the Synta Gold - a better oil! the deal seems to be stay away from cheap oil which breaks down way to quickly and gunges up your system, the old ford Cortina pinto engines where a fine example of cheap oil and camshaft chatter when the gunge from the cheap oil blocked the spray bars to the camshaft so they wore out.
Engines these days are far more advanced but we still have to watch our oil :?

Return to “Megane I”