squeeking noise at start after cambelt change

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

vicktor_bravo
Currently Drives:: 1996 1.6 RTE

squeeking noise at start after cambelt change

Postby vicktor_bravo » Sun May 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi,

I had my Renault 1996 Megane RTE 1.6 cambelt, tensioner and water pump changed. This was done as the water pump was leaking. The car has done 101000 miles. These changes were done at a local garage.

After the fittings, when the car was started at the Garage there was a sueeking noise at the start, and they said it was Fan belt noise, and is not a concern!!. This went off after I started car number of times during the day. Also worth mentioning when I first drove after repairs, the steering wheel felt heavy, however going around round-abouts the heavyness when away and the steering wheel felt OK, so I thought one might see this with new cambelt.

Next day morning when I started the car I again heard "Squeeking" on start, and if I restart it goes away. I then parked the car and waited for 5-minutes then on restart I hear the squeeking again.

Any idea what could have gone wrong as this "Squeeking" was not there before the cambelt change.

Thanks
Vim

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: squeeking noise at start after cambelt change

Postby davelowe » Sun May 09, 2010 3:22 pm

The auxiliary (fan) belt probably needs to be removed to get access to the cam belt (I don't know on that model). If it was put back and not tensioned correctly, it may slip and cause the squeaking noise. Get the garage to check there is no excess play - and correct it if necessary. Your cam belt (the important one) should be safe.

The heavy steering could be caused by this too if the car has hydraulic power steering and the auxiliary belt drives this pump. Newer models have electrically assisted power steering - again, I'm not sure about your car.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

vicktor_bravo
Currently Drives:: 1996 1.6 RTE

Re: squeeking noise at start after cambelt change

Postby vicktor_bravo » Sun May 09, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks Dave

It appears that the cambelt runs the water pump in 1996 Megane RTE 1.6

Changing the tension on the auxillary belt is it a easy job or does it require another 2-3 hours like it did for Cambelt change.

Cheers
Vim

Return to “Megane I”