The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

speedy36
Currently Drives:: Mazda RX8 R3

Need Help Clicking and power steering issue

Postby speedy36 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi Guys

Not sure If i have been sold a dud.

But I thought when i test drove the car that the steering was heavy but now it is very heavy and also what i would call notchy meaning that you can turn the wheel in intervals and it doesn't go back to centre. :conf :conf

Also when i move the heater control or the heater is turned on at start up there is a loud clicking noise which seems to be coming from behind the console but you can also hear it from outside the car. It last for about 5-8 secs and goes off. :conf :conf

I have a 12 month warranty but just thought I would ask the folks that know.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Mark.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Need Help Clicking and power steering issue

Postby ChrisM » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Mark

Also when i move the heater control or the heater is turned on at start up there is a loud clicking noise which seems to be coming from behind the console but you can also hear it from outside the car. It last for about 5-8 secs and goes off

Common fault with the meg 1 - the problem is re-curculation flap or rather that what it sounds like to me, have a search on here and on https://www.renaultforums.co.uk, quite a big job I belive. in brief it is sometihng to do with a flap on the ventalation system that is supose to shut everytime you start the car to stop fumes getting in, just in case you start it up in a garage, have a search, possible the renaultforums site may be better, there is also https://www.coupe-club.co.uk for megane 1 coupes you may also get some info of there as well. there are a few cheap fixes you can do. :-)

But I thought when i test drove the car that the steering was heavy but now it is very heavy and also what i would call notchy meaning that you can turn the wheel in intervals and it doesn't go back to centre

Did you not ask the garage about this when you test drove it? sounds like power steering problem, either rack, pump or leak, have you checked the fluid resovoir to see if it has any fluid in it, I would definatly get them to sort this one out as this could prove not only to be dangerious but very expensive, especially if it is a rack you need, have a look to see if there is any fluid, these things never loose large amounts, so if there is none you have a leak for sure, a good look under the car around the rack area should show it up, if you have fluid in the resovoir than it is either pump or possibly rack still, I can not remember how they are driven now not sure if they have there own belt, but have a look for the belt to 1st see if it has got one and not broken and 2nd to check tension as it may just need nipping up as it is to loose.
If it is loose then see if you can do some investigation into when it last had a cam belt as this to me would say the belts on this vehicle have not been looked at for a long time - very important on these cars are they are unsafe engines, as in, if it breaks, wave good by to engine!, if garage can't tell you see if you can contact last owner, their name is on the reg doc under last owner.
Few Ideas for you to look at, hope they help :grin

speedy36
Currently Drives:: Mazda RX8 R3

Postby speedy36 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:23 pm

Once again mate.....thanks very much .....at least someone is awake :D :lol:

Yeh have also got this sorted......allegidly some of the steering column covers had slipped and causing the rubbing etc......all sorted and now the wife can actually steer where she needs to ;-)

Lets hope thats it for the problems as starting to think i should have kept her old corsa :roll:

Thanks again.
Mark.
:cool:

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am

the wife can actually steer where she needs to

MMMmmm the wife! sees where she want to go but car steers some where else usually... :D

We have 2 megs, the wife drives 1999 Meg 1 Coupe never misses a beat, apart form it has had 2 drive shafts one each side as it has done the usual Renault thing of shedding its CV boot clips, so looses all its grease, 1 year laster rumbles, I have Meg 2 CC, in comparison to my wifes Meg 1 mine is crap, I have more niggles in 12 months than she has had in 6 years.

The Renault tec that looks after both for major jobs has even said hers is a better build qaulity than mine and will out live mine, I think he may right to be honest, I drove a Fiat Bravo before this CC and even that was better qaulity than this CC. ;-)

Return to “Megane I”