Chugging and loss of Power

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

SimonWootten
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane RXE 1998 'S' Reg 1.6

Chugging and loss of Power

Postby SimonWootten » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:50 pm

I have currently brought a 1998 Renault Megane 1.6 RXE. When i brought the car it was perfectly fine. After the next day i realised a few problems.
1. It doesn't start properly in the morning so i have to give it a bit of welly!
2. I had changed the rear hub, and as i did the ABS light had shown on the dash.
3. When i have warmed the car up in the morning i pull away and it lacks power and chuggs along and the occasional burst of power.
4. When i push down on the gas pedal it judders when stationary.

I have read that some of the problems may be the fuel filter which i have replaced. I have change the manifold thinking it maybe back pressure and lastly i have just the idle control valve just to see if that maybe the reason why it judders.

I would appreciate any help on this. I need the problem resolved as i dont want to get a mechanic to look at it and charge over the nose but also i drive 30 miles everyday and would prefer this not to happen.

Cheers

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Chugging and loss of Power

Postby ChrisM » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:10 pm

Sounds like it is mising! plug or lead gone down maybe!

Have you have done all the plug and lead changing for new ones etc as it sounds like an ignition fault your have, if you havn't I would change plugs, then leads try it if it is stil the same change coils, ionce you have done this there is not a lot left.
I would then have a compresion test done and also an ECU read to see what that throws up, do you know if it is using coolant? you may have a head gasket gone which could give you the same running symptoms.

as for ABS light, have you got drums or discs on it, changing a rear hub should not put an ABS light on if it is on drums as the ABS on a model that old is usually operated from the front discs, how ever if it had discs on the rear there may be an ABS cable you have not conected on the rear, or if you changed disc for a new one there may not be an ABS ring on the back of the disc again this will put ABS warning on, retrace your steps with the hub to see if you missed anything.

Return to “Megane I”