please help me before i scrap my car

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Re: please help me before i scrap my car

Postby busternlouie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 pm

2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

Peewak
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 vvt 16v dynamiqe full comfort pack inc full glass roof
17 alloys keyless entry 'n' go met black 54 plate

Postby Peewak » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:50 pm

WOW Busternlouie if i every c u i'll buy you lots of beer and give you a big fat kiss
your the man (or woman)
cheers dude (or dudet)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Buster,

Well done and I suck! ...it's not that we are in competition, but I failed to spot the obvious -- a massive electronics failure in Megane II is almost always due to missing hatch on the left front arch liner. Full stop.

Peewak,

The PSU in your car became flooded with salt water. It is corrosive and dissolves printed board circuit (PCB) tracks and connector pins. If they are still intact and the failure is due to the leakage current, then the only escape is to remove the PSU, wash it with water, dry it at +60C (which is significantly lower than the limits of the components) and put it back. It would be also wise to remove the PCB and spray it with 3-5 layers of urethane.

When the PSU goes mad, it tends to discharge the battery. Some symptoms may be caused by this.

You may want to look at the PSU as soon as possible, as salt water dissolves PCB tracks in hours rather than in days.

The manual as above is a part of Dialogys system, which is sold cheap on ebay. It is also possible to download the images of the CDs from the web (usenet or p2p networks) for free.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 am

glad it's looks like youve got to the root cause.

this is in the common issues thread...which i did point peewak at earlier in the thread :wink:
"Water can also get into the access holes located in the wheel arch for changing headlight bulbs..ensure the cover is not missing and is well sealed. again there are some electrical bit that can get affected ..expensive."

I'll update the common Issues thread and make these symtoms a bit clearer for future.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:56 pm

AlexB wrote:Buster,

Well done and I suck! ...it's not that we are in competition, but I failed to spot the obvious -- a massive electronics failure in Megane II is almost always due to missing hatch on the left front arch liner. Full stop.

Peewak,

The PSU in your car became flooded with salt water. It is corrosive and dissolves printed board circuit (PCB) tracks and connector pins. If they are still intact and the failure is due to the leakage current, then the only escape is to remove the PSU, wash it with water, dry it at +60C (which is significantly lower than the limits of the components) and put it back. It would be also wise to remove the PCB and spray it with 3-5 layers of urethane.

When the PSU goes mad, it tends to discharge the battery. Some symptoms may be caused by this.

You may want to look at the PSU as soon as possible, as salt water dissolves PCB tracks in hours rather than in days.

The manual as above is a part of Dialogys system, which is sold cheap on ebay. It is also possible to download the images of the CDs from the web (usenet or p2p networks) for free.

Guess i was lucky, i drove for months covering several thousand miles with no wheel arch cover due to being too lazy to go get one. Never had a problem. If i'd known what repurcussions could have been involved i might have got one sooner.

UK.BladeRunner
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6i Dynamique VVT 3Dr Sport (57 Reg)

Postby UK.BladeRunner » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm just glad the car didn't get scrapped all because the left front bulb access panel was missing under the wheel arch.... :lol:
Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch. | 57 Reg |3 Dr | Manual Gearbox | Panoramic Elec Sunroof | Cruise Control | Speed Limiter | Air Con | Elec Windows | Elec Mirrors | 6 Disc CD Changer | Front Fog Lights | Keyless Entry & Start

Peewak
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 vvt 16v dynamiqe full comfort pack inc full glass roof

Postby Peewak » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 pm

THANX Guys you are all ace
However i had uch off today with the only thing i found was a blown fuse (7.5) which i changed it has given me back my auto lights and wipers.there was no signs of water or corrosion in there at all.I've also took the cat off to see if it was blocked.
I dont know where to go next apart from paying :devil at the dealers to sort it :banghead

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:12 am

Peewak,

What faults are left after you've sorted the leak, window and the fuse? Only the misfire? Does the ECU report in which cylinder it happens? Check the ground connection to the engine and all ECUs.

Peewak wrote:THANX Guys you are all ace
However i had uch off today with the only thing i found was a blown fuse (7.5) which i changed it has given me back my auto lights and wipers.there was no signs of water or corrosion in there at all.I've also took the cat off to see if it was blocked.
I dont know where to go next apart from paying :devil at the dealers to sort it :banghead
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 pm

when you had the UPC in bits were you 100% sure there were no signs of water on the back of the PCB, mine only had a tiny amount of corrosion but it was enough to warrant a replacement. just a quick note, the UPC needs coding at the dealer, its not just a plug and play part (my dealer didn't tell me this and it left my car immobile in my garage, the ecu 'forgets' the old UPC when you plug the new one in so you can't swap them back).
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Peewak

Postby Peewak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 pm

[quote][/quote]How I love this site
By far the best forum on the tinterweb :hug
Cylinder 4 misfire

does anyone know where the ground connections are?

Ross_Boro
Currently Drives:: Gun metal grey megane, 1.4 16V Dym, currently modifying

Postby Ross_Boro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 pm

or mate i feel for you!, the problems on mine have started already, i had a fiat punto sporting before and everyone warned me about getting a fiat and they were right lol, then they warned me about a renault lol and they were right, let me know if u sort any other stuff out

Birdie

Postby Birdie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I know it's an old post but I assume it's still active. I've just bought a 2007 Megane Dynamique A 1600cc (5 days ago), only 48000 miles on the clock. Yesterday it rained, for the first time since buying, and it rained and rained. In late afternoon I drove it less than a mile (because it was raining) to get some stuff and when I returned to the car, a few minutes after having stopped, it would not restart. The computer display was flashing and nothing seemed to be working. I had to abandon it (central locking still worked) and walk back . Since then I have been trawling the internet for information and ended up here. Having read this thread, and having arrived at the conclusion that driving in the rain might be the cause of the problem, I went back to the car to check the covers under the wheel arches. Both were in place. I tried to restart the car, which it did after 5 or 6 attrempts, so I drove it home. From reading this thread It seems that the problem I have is water in the PSU. My question is, what can be done to prevent it happening in the future, bearing in mind I drove the car less than a mile before the problem presented itself (if I had been driving further would the problem have arisen while I was driving?).

Return to “Problems / Questions”