Front Wipers Not Working

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Front Wipers Not Working

Postby Toodeep » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:34 am

This seems to be an uncommon fault as my search only threw up one instance. My front wipers have stopped working totally. The fuse in the passenger compartment is shared with the radio etc. so it's not that. I understand there is a dedicated 25A fuse under the bonnet but before I remove the battery and everything else that's involved to get to it, I wondered if anyone had any ideas. For example, if the rear wipers come on when I select reverse with the front wipers in the ON position, I presume that eliminates the switch as being faulty but does it also mean the fuse must be ok?

I know Meganes can suffer all kinds of electrical glitches due to damp connectors but where are the connectors that might affect the wipers? Members who have had problems with their wipers behaving erratically have been directed to the UCH(?). What is this and could it make the wipers stop altogether?

I accept that it might be the wiper motor in the end but I've never experienced this in any car over 35 years of driving and it does not seem common even on the idiosyncratic Megane. The car is a 29,000 mile 2003(53) 1.6 Privilege Automatic with auto wipers/lights.

J_T
Currently Drives:: 03 dymanique 1.6 vvt

Re: Front Wipers Not Working

Postby J_T » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi, its the motor, my 03 megane did exactly the same a few weeks back. There hard to track down new, GSF Parts sell them but they only had one in stock when I was looking and that was in Dublin. The other alternative and what I did was use Parts Gateway, I got replacement motor and linkage (2nd hand) for £65 , Its a quick job to do once you work out how to get to the motor and play about for a while trying to get it out of where it sits below the windscreen.

:-)

Toodeep
Pass Plus

Postby Toodeep » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:13 pm

That was my fear. If it's as easy to tackle I might have a go. I'll have to find out how much they cost from Renault as I don't have the time to see if a second hand one crops up. Thanks for the advice.

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:10 pm

also consider connecting 12v directly to the motor to see if anything comes out of it!
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:47 pm

There was somebody on here a while back who had the same fault and thought it was the motor but it turned out to be the linkage seized.
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

nagogg
Currently Drives:: Megane Scénic,R19,Koleos

Postby nagogg » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Before you buy a new motor check the fuse in the UPC(Protection and switching Unit)in the Engine Comp
In a Vers 1 its said internal fuse(but check,its nr 9 and its 25A)
In Vers 2 its nr 9 also
Check this out

Toodeep
Pass Plus

Postby Toodeep » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09 am

I had the wipers and the cowl protecting the motor off at the weekend to see what would be involved to replace it. I had an opportunity to check for current going to the connector but no circuit tester available at the time. This will be easier than checking the fuse as I'm worried about removing the battery. There is a hand written number in the radio instruction book but I don't want to risk it not being the radio code only to find the wiper motor fuse is fine anyway.

As for the linkage seizing, there was a fair amount of movement of the linkage necessary to free the wiper arms from the spindles. I expect this would have freed any minor seizing.

One thing I noticed was the amount of water settled in the well below the wiper motor. This must enter at the bottom of the screen because I remember thinking when I replaced the cowl that protects the wiper motor that it cannot possibly be water tight where it meets the screen. It's semi-rigid plastic rather than flexible rubber and there didn't appear to be any silicone sealant or the like. Added to this, there were two rubber grommet type things at the bottom of the well, one into which a cable disappeared (on the passenger side). A lot of muck had collected here which was all that was preventing the water draining away. Where did the water go when I cleared the muck? It's not as though the hole is near the car's extremities where it could drain onto the road. And if this is intended as a drain point which I suppose is possible, why route a cable down it? If this is typical around the car there is no wonder it suffers electrical problems.

I don't imagine there is any Megane more than a year old where leaves and dirt have not already blocked any drain holes designed into this well and that does not therefore have water sloshing around after every wash or heavy shower. In my case the car hadn't seen any water for over a week. After the wipers are fixed I will definitely be putting some silicone windscreen sealant around the bottom of the screen.

mikesparrow
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 16 valve

Postby mikesparrow » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:18 am

Hi guys and gals.
I had the problem where the windscreen wipers just stopped working. I came across this forum while searching for some help.
This is what I did. I'm not saying this will be the case for everyone, but well worth a try.
Remove the left hand vent cover, just under the windscreen wiper, 2 screws. Mark the position of the central shaft to the wiper mechanism, take a pic if you can. This is useful to get the timing of the wipers right on re-assembly. Undo the main nut that connects the wiper mechanism to the motor assembly (13mm nut). Remove the 3 bolts that hold the motor mechanism to the car frame (10mm bolts). Remove the motor, and disconnect the electric cable. Now remove the plastic cover over the motor gearbox (4 clips). Look at the metal fingers on the plastic plate...you should see 3 towards the centre of the plate, and one towards the side of the plate. This metal plate towards the side of the plate is the earth, or return feed to the car chassis. Looking into the casing where all the gears are, you will notice a piece of the casing that sticks out a bit...this makes contact with the outer plate on the cover. Clean this piece that sticks out, just a screwdriver tip will do the trick. Clean the outer contact on plastic cover as well. This will give you a good earth again.
Re-assemble the motor back in the reverse order above..... All sorted.

Regards

MIKE :-)

Andy1m1
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 1.9 Dci 2002

Postby Andy1m1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi just joined to post a massive thanks to mikesparrow.
Driving in the 3rd lane of of the M4 last night through torrential rain at night when my wipers stopped dead.
I pulled over and checked my fuses no luck, sat wondering what to do when the heavens cleared and the rain stopped. I cleared the windscreen and managed to get back home.
I managed to get a garage to check the electronics and he confirmed power was getting to the motor.
I showed him your post and he said it probably was an earth problem but was unable to check until Monday.
So armed with this info i took on the job had to borrow a couple of spanners as all i had was a socket set.
And voila its all working again im so happy and proud i was able to save myself a large garage bill.
Many many thanks mikesparrow :-) :mrgreen: :grin ;)

Fancy
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane2

Postby Fancy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Tried this cleaning my renault earth and still my wipers are still not working. How did yall solve this issue because its giving me grief. Should i now go the motor replacing route?
:cry

Fancy
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane2

Postby Fancy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Fancy wrote:Tried this cleaning my renault earth and still my wipers are still not working. How did yall solve this issue because its giving me grief. Should i now go the motor replacing route?
:cry

Anna

Postby Anna » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Mike Sparrow! Thankyou so much! Have wipers again thanks to you, contrary to what the garage were saying the problem was ( wiper stalk and unit). Underneath the grill, the drainage holes were blocked up, meaning the wiper-motor had been sat in water. Feeling jubilant! Thankyou Mike sparrow!

Return to “Problems / Questions”