Immobiliser Problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Immobiliser Problem

Postby MrAsia » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:01 am

I was cleaning the throttle body out last night, went to start the car up this morning and got nothing. Immobiliser light was solid on the dashboard.
Central locking, lights, dashboard, nothing works.

Key slot does not respond to main key or spare.

Any one ever restarted the immobiliser before? I have disconnected the battery and no luck.
Did I accidently knock a sensor somewhere? Reading the Megane Electrical equipment guide it says it is faulty injection - faulty engine immobiliser?
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Immobiliser Problem

Postby AlexB » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:12 pm

I would think it is an electrical fault around the engine. Check whatever was disturbed during the job, then read the fault codes (search ebay for ELM327).
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Re: Immobiliser Problem

Postby MrAsia » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:30 pm

I found the problem.

I inspected everything and did not disturb surrounding cables/wires. In the end narrowed it down to the battery, it was completely dead, engine wouldn't even turn. So got a jump start and it was fine again, however next day same problem, meaning the battery wasn't run down but dead.

For the last week my car has been randomly stalling (manual) when I am cruising then going into neutral when approaching to stop at the lights, didn't happen all the time so I thought it was weird.
I took the car to get a new battery today after getting jump started again from RACV, on the way to the shop for a replacement battery, the car stalled 5 times within the 7min trip down the road. I didn't think it would be possible for a car to stall once the alternator kicked it. I assumed it was something else that was wrong, however after a new battery the problem is gone and engine is running smoothly.
The car would drop to 500rpm, bounce/fluctuate and then stall.

Who knew a dead battery could cause so many problems. Lesson learnt for future reference. Though the death of the battery came out of nowhere, car was starting up fine the day before, no lights left on the car to drain the battery.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

Return to “Problems / Questions”