HELP!! MAF Location, Temp Control Sensor and More...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

westy_26
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: MKII Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Focus STaloon Panther Black

Re: HELP!! MAF Location, Temp Control Sensor and More...

Postby westy_26 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm

AlexB wrote:westy_26,

Did the garage clean the throttle body? It is a very popular problem -- Renault has a Technical Note about how to clean it.

No as it was just in for a service and fan belt that was all I authorised them to do.

They suggested it might be the coolant sensor and then explained that as that is faulty the engine is not warm....but the ECU thinks it is warm and thus allows the car to idle at it's normaly temperature idling... as it is not working it cuts out until it has been revved etc etc...

I have read that it could be the TDC (Crank shaft Sesnor) I cleaned all the sensors I could get to with some electricla cleaner but it made no difference... the one I did not get to was the TDC sensor...I will have to buy one and give that a go...but it starts to get expensive when you start buying sensors just as a process of illimination. What I need is a friend with a Megane then I can try each sensor to establish the problem....but alas all my friends do not drive French cars... Boo Hoo...

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:23 pm

Got the window fixed on Saturday, took me a good hour and a half to put it all back together, test it then fix annoying rattles but so far it all seems fine.

We did have one moment in the afternoon and that was when we went out for a walk up Box hill. we stopped for a pint in the pub at the top came out and the window I fixed was half open.

We were fairly sure it was closed but dismissed it.

I have read that sometimes the windows do this on the megane...? A bit worrying to say the least.

Still not solved the starting problem.

Could it be the Crank Shaft or TDC sensor playing up??

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:51 pm

Did the TDC Sensor this weeked

Managed to do the wife's Megane at the weekend and thought I would post a couple of additional pics as they may help.

Firstly this is a 2003 1.6Vvt Dynamique.

A Is where the TDC Sensor is located, just under the black pipe. If you put your hand under there you will see it.
Unfortunately you will have to remove your battery, it makes access soooo much easier. Make sure you have your radio code before disconnecting the battery.

Remove the battery and the Tray. As can be seen by B

Closer
And here you can see it more clearly.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 599x448 and weights 103KB.

Undo the two bolts circled in RED with a 10m socket. *TIP* Use a Magnetic extendable stick available from ebay for a couple of quid. To grab the bolts as they come loose so they do not fall.

The TDC is wired into a plug which is just out of shot but circled in blue.

This is the TDC sensor and as you can see it is filthy.
Also the Haynes manual was incorrect. It states that you can follow the wiring back and unclip the TDC sensor. Sadly this is wrong you have 3 maybe 4 inches of wire to play with so cut the old plug off pretty close.

I bought the new TDC Sensor which has a blue plug on the back and it came with a bit of wiring with the socket that plugs into the new sensor. You will need to cut the old plug off and connect the old wiring onto the new plug.

Unfortunatley the new wires on the blue plug are not the same colour as the wires you will have cut. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right here and a PITA if you put the car back together and it is wrong so make sure you get it right.

*TIP* I put the old plug next to the new plug and worked out which wire joined up with which. (Can't remember the colours) but it is self explanitory and quite easy. I used a couple of RED tube type wire connectors that you crimp. The TDC does come with some tubes but I think you have to heat them or something...far too complicated and you have bugger all room as it is.

Notice the Blue part, this is the difference from the old TDC sensor which is black and the revised newer one.

Then all you need to do is put it all back together and fire it up.

It should tick over nicely...phew...

MONDO9
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 VVT Dynamique 2003

Postby MONDO9 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:49 am

Did the new TDC work for you?

I changed mine with an after market one (not blue) and its cured the starting problem but not the sluggishness when cold.

Simon

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:58 pm

It's fine.

Renault's are renouned for being sluggish when cold though. Have you tried cleaning all your other sensors with some electrical component cleaner? Clean your MAP and the temp sensor. Give the Throttle body a clean too. Reset the Ecu by disconnecting the battery (YOU WILL NEED YOUR RADIO CODE THOUGH)

All makes a difference and it worked for me.

Return to “Problems / Questions”