Smoke/Steam From Under Bonnet

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Smoke/Steam From Under Bonnet

Postby AlexB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Coolants may be incompatible between the makes and the colours. Mixing may cause residue formation resulting in expensive repairs.

Your original coolant, if I am not mistaken, should be fluorescent yellow and the new replacement from Renault is green. I suggest to stick to the OEM coolant as it is not expensive. Flush the system with water when changing from one colour to another. The colours are used to indicate the chemical composition of the liquid.

It would be good to hear a comment of Webcode on this subject...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:49 am

hi there

i sometimes get steam coming off bonnet,esp in cold wet weather, just evaporation, as the car warms up.

the only other time this had happened and was accompanied by an oily smoke smell i had just filled oil up and had spillled some on the engine bay- this was then burning off...

always a concern when you see it but nothing ever comes of it.
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

Andy_CC
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane CC and Nissan Navara Avantura

Postby Andy_CC » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 am

andywills wrote:
Chambo211 wrote:Hey Andy
I heard like a clunk from the engine like it had turned on.

a clunk? mine dosent clunk, sounds like there's a problem there

If you heard the clunk/click then id say it was ok, but without looking at it i can only gess as to what you tell me, the reason it wont feel any colder is because its so bloody cold out side at the moment, thats why i said make sure the dial was in the coldest seting to make sure it kicks in. your air con will run at a coldest temp coming off the evaporator at approx 5 - 7 oC so that will give you a cabin temp of around 15oC, if its a similair temp outside then it wont feel cold, may feel warmer in some cases.

andywills - As ive said, set your temp dial to its coldest postion and press the A/C button, within a couple of seconds you should here a clunk/click noise from the engine bay, this is the A/Cs compressor starting up, if this doesnt happen then it could indicate a problem, again with out looking i can only gess. plus it may depend if you have standard A/C or climate control.
07 Megane CC 1.6 Dynamique and Nissan Navara Avantura with 215 bhp and 480n/m Torque wooohooooo!!!!

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:34 am

it has standard ac, no clunk, works fine
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

Andy_CC
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane CC and Nissan Navara Avantura

Postby Andy_CC » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:44 pm

andywills wrote:it has standard ac, no clunk, works fine

Trust me theres always a clunk or click, might not be the louests of noisys but its there, followed by a slight drop in the revs as the compressor starts matey, the clunk or clink is the clutch pulling in on the compressor to start it up, i work with them everyday of my life. my megane does it, my navara does it, even porsches do it..... peugot 206s are the loudest though :lol: :lol:
07 Megane CC 1.6 Dynamique and Nissan Navara Avantura with 215 bhp and 480n/m Torque wooohooooo!!!!

kevwads
Currently Drives:: 1998 Renault Megane 1.6 RT
Alfa Romeo 156 2l

Postby kevwads » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi,
Don't want to worry you too much, but that's how my car started, check if any smoke is coming out of the exhaust, as this has now happened to me, which is now waiting for a head gasket. The smell if its the gasket will smell like burning water which is different to burning oil. Hope this helps.

Chambo211
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 vvt Oasis Black

Postby Chambo211 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi all.Thanks for helps on this guys.This is my second day of nothing else happening regarding the steam/smoke.
Hopefully it was just evaporation and I was worrying too much - I'll worry about this car until I get rid of it with the amount of trouble we have had with it.
I'm still keeping an eye on the coolant level and the temp gauge is still reading normal.
Hopefully it's nothing to worry about - but then again it's a Renault!
Renault Megane, Oasis, Black, 1.6, 16v, vvt, Panoramic Roof

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm

[quote="Andy_CC]might not be the louests of noisys but its there, [/quote]

you've just given yourself the answer to why i probably dont here it
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

Return to “Problems / Questions”