Fuel Cap Stuck

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

audreymarcel
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe Cab

Fuel Cap Stuck

Postby audreymarcel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi All.

My fuel cap is completely stuck. I have managed to get the plastic cover of so im down to the black plug so to speak where do I go now? I read on another page that there is some loop or hook from inside the boot but as far as I can see the fuel cap etc is completely enclosed.

Can anyone give me some good clear advice. I am running on fumes and have work in the morning lol

Many Thanks in advance.

Jamie

bazzagunn
Currently Drives:: megane convertable coupe

Re: Fuel Cap Stuck

Postby bazzagunn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi there
i had the same problem with mine !! a friend who works for the rac opened it very carefully with a screw driver as we could not get acess to the cap from behind all the roof mec is in the way !! when we finally did get it open he soaked it in oil an it worked for about another couple of weeks then it started again so we tryed to remove it at a friends garage an it was "" how can i put it I CUT THE PIN DOWN honestly it was the only way !! i cut just enough off that it still locks an if it jam"s its easy to pull it open !!
i phoned renualt an the parts guy told me that he"d never changed one or even ordered one !! my mate (from the RAC) he said as i didn"t use it often the rain water was seepin in an jammin the plastic mech ! i haven"t had a problem with it since cutting the pin down

hope this is some help for you

jaysere03
Currently Drives:: megane 2 dymonique cc

Postby jaysere03 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:04 pm

I got excact same problem follwing it being parked in snow all week bit of a pisher as im out of fuel and dint notice until tried filling up
will look again in daylight and post back as soon as i sussed it

mickysmota
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9 dci convertable 2004

Postby mickysmota » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:28 am

hi if the pin keeps sticking open the cap by pressing the open and close on ya key fob at the same time lightly bang the side of the car where the switch is may take a few min.after you open it the black plastic lug on the cap get a small file and file a groove in the centre till it just slips over the pin faily tight .NO PROB ANY MORE.

audreymarcel
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe Cab

Postby audreymarcel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi all.

Thanks for your replies. I did mange to sort something similar to one of the above answers.

I fiddled for hours for this damn solenoid people were on about to no avail, in the end I slid the plastic cover off the cap and gently wedged the black rubber stopper open so I could see the activation pin which I imagine would usually slide in and out on clicking the fob. I got a small hacksaw blade and cut straight through it.

The cap doesnt lock anymore but I have been assured that no fuel can escape, also the pin is yet to move so it would still be jammed now really.

Hope this helps someone else sometime.

Regards

Jamie

-KJ-
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Mégane II Ph.1 1.6 16v Dynamique Luxe, full leather seats, Carminat Informé 1 with CD-changer.

Postby -KJ- » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:58 pm

There seems to be an emergency-release for the tank-flap, reachable from the trunk, behind the sidetrim. You can pull the pin manually from there.
From Holland! Megane II Phase 1, Black Pearl, 1.6 16V LPG, Dynamique Luxe, full leather, Carminat 1 with CD-changer, Phase 2 front.

Return to “Problems / Questions”