Cloud of smoke upon ignition

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

wabybaby
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane 1.9 dci Dynamique

Re: Cloud of smoke upon ignition

Postby wabybaby » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Don't worry I didn't take it as anything but helpful. The revving you mentioned, is that what happens when the turbo goes?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:08 am

Yep, the engine starts running on its own oil as fuel. Then there are two ways to stop it: to cut off the air supply or to stall it. You can't switch off ignition -- there are no spark plugs in a diesel... There is a butterfly valve in the intake, whose function is to cut of air and assist stopping the engine, but the ECU is programmed to keep the engine running when driving. It is also to programmed to reduce the revs to idle before stopping it. Here is the catch -- the engine would not slow down when running on its own oil. The override command is to press Stop five times fast. This is not advertised in the manual due to safety of driving considerations. This operation does not switch the power steering off, but it stops the vacuum pump supplying the brake servo.

If the engine is left running, it will destroy itself through exceeding the maximum permissible speed and running out of oil. It will seize. Now you can see why people are so paranoid about turbocharger failures. Anyway, I hope it will not happen to you...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wabybaby
Passed Theory

Postby wabybaby » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

AlexB wrote:Yep, the engine starts running on its own oil as fuel.

Could this be happening already which is why I'm using so much?

Not sure if i've posted about this before, but in the oil filler and on the top of the dipstick aswell theres a very small amount of white goo. In a petrol engine this would make you think the head gasket is going, is it a similar thing for diesels? Could this be related?

I'm getting so paranoid now, listening to it all I can hear are the whistles... I may record it on a video for u see what U think 2moro!

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:23 am

No, you did not write about the oil filter... If you see the "white goo" in the inner part of the oil filter, then the engine is suffering from lubrication failure, which is deadly for the turbocharger and other critical parts. Actually, when any engine starts consuming litres of oil and there are no obvious leaks, it is always bad.

To your other question -- yes, the oil is likely to be consumed by the engine, and no, it is still not a runaway situation. One will know when runaway happens, it is like having someone pressed the accelerator to the floor.

wabybaby wrote:...
Could this be happening already which is why I'm using so much?

Not sure if i've posted about this before, but in the oil filler and on the top of the dipstick aswell theres a very small amount of white goo. In a petrol engine this would make you think the head gasket is going, is it a similar thing for diesels? Could this be related?

I'm getting so paranoid now, listening to it all I can hear are the whistles... I may record it on a video for u see what U think 2moro!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wabybaby
Passed Theory

Postby wabybaby » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:08 am

Took it to the garage yesterday and bam, turbo failure! Price to fix it, £1700 + VAT. He said 10 hours labour, 550 for the turbo, then an intercooler and cambelt needs doing to as hasnt been done yet! And that's if it doesnt need a new manifold and EGR valve. gutted.

I havent got anyway near that amount so looks like shes going to be part ex'd or sold...

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Wabybaby,
There existed incidents when a dealer said that the service was done, but the oil was not changed. This can be proved by oil analysis, but do a simple blotter test first to avoid unnecessary expenses.

BTW, did you imply in the quoted message that the car was bought from a dealer less than a year ago? In this case follow the Sale of Goods and Services Act. Sorry if you wrote about it somewhere else -- I can't find it.

wabybaby wrote:Well hopefully the oil was only changed about 1000 miles ago. When I bought it the dealer said it would be serviced for me, the service indicator was reset but doesnt mean to say it all done. Obviously I cant say what oil was used as I wasnt there, but when I've been topping it up I've been using the fully sinthetic stuff, 0w40 or whatever it is. Definetly the right stuff I wrote it down after reading on here!

On the computer at the minute I'm getting 37 mpg (used 14.5G), trip is 550m, av speed 30mph. During the week car mostly does fairly short town driving, then roughly ever other weekend I do a 100 mile round trip at the weekend, mostly A roads.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about the news wabybaby. But 10 hours labour? :shock: I'm definitely no mechanic but that seems an awful long time?

From memory, I recall webcode mentioning the book time to do the cambelt on the 1.9dCi is 2.1 hours or something as its a straight forward job?

Looking at the haynes manual to change the turbo and intercooler, it looks quite straight forward for a mechanic as no other major components needs to be removed which may be in the way apart from the obvious (catalytic convertor, front bumper etc) (I hear the subframe has to be removed to get the 6 speed gearbox off to change the clutch)

What I'm trying to say is, if you still have any faith in the car try getting some more quotes for the job. What is the age and mileage of the vehicle again?
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

wabybaby
Passed Theory

Postby wabybaby » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:47 pm

yes it was only purchased sept 08, I called trading standards but they said only if thecar has a defect can you get a case. If it's due to age, wear and tear there's not a lot they can do..

I'm going to ring round and ask for quotes but even if it's 500 less than that it's going to need a loan or be without a car for some months whilst I save which isn't really ideal. Going to sit on it this week see if there's anything we can do.

The dealer I bought it off was your stereotypical car salesman. Nice as pie but after wards doesn't want to know.. Getting a couple of new bulbs was like getting blood from a stone, so I'm only going to get in touch with them with something concrete or substantial if I go down that route as can do without the stress!

Cheers for the help along the way n advice guys

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Oh no. Sorry to here about your bad news waby. Makes me worry about my 03 dCi when i read things like this :-(

Hope you find a more reasonable quote. Keep us informed wont you.
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 am

Wabybaby,

They sold you the car, it was supposed to be fit for the purpose, you were not informed about the turbo needed replacement... Within the first 6 months it is up to the dealer to prove that the defect did not exist at the time of purchase! Read the Act, get an independent opinion (pay for it) and then get the dealer pay. There are a couple of relevant threads (Sale of goods Act and Small Court) in the FAQ section at Parkers and there are many other sources on the web. There is no need to be stressed, there exists a routine which needs to be followed. Please don't forget by hint re. oil -- most dealers use incorrect specs and some of them cheat by not changing it in the pre-sale service. Get the record for your car from Renault -- the earlier repairs may be relevant.

wabybaby wrote:yes it was only purchased sept 08, I called trading standards but they said only if thecar has a defect can you get a case. If it's due to age, wear and tear there's not a lot they can do..

I'm going to ring round and ask for quotes but even if it's 500 less than that it's going to need a loan or be without a car for some months whilst I save which isn't really ideal. Going to sit on it this week see if there's anything we can do.

The dealer I bought it off was your stereotypical car salesman. Nice as pie but after wards doesn't want to know.. Getting a couple of new bulbs was like getting blood from a stone, so I'm only going to get in touch with them with something concrete or substantial if I go down that route as can do without the stress!

Cheers for the help along the way n advice guys
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Liggy
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Black 2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege

Postby Liggy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Oh my God....I'm having similar problems, and I'm freaking out! :eek
2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege 1.9DCI.

Return to “Problems / Questions”