Fuel problem... Strange one.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Fuel problem... Strange one.

Postby Paddy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:04 pm

The story first...

Today I went to get fuel after driving about 120 miles, the petrol light had come on. I got out to fill up but forgot to turn off the engine. I then proceeded to put a tenner in the tank 12L or so. Went and paid and got back in. I saw that I had left my engine on and that the petrol light was still on. So I turned her off and back on. Still petrol light on and marker not moving. I then stop her dead ie turned off and opened door to kill power. Back on and still nothing.

I drove home thinking it may kick into action (25miles or so) Still nothing. I thought right ill go to the petrol station and put a pound in and see if that moves it. Well it moved the needle a tad... not enough to register the other 12L from before and still the light on.

Why has this happened? If the engine is left on does it not measure the fuel added?

Strange one.. has anybody else done this?

Regards,

P

PS. I know I shouldn’t fill up with the engine on for safety before someone cracks that.

P

PS. I know i shouldnt fill up with the enigne on for saftey before someone cracks that.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: Fuel problem... Strange one.

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:03 pm

i did it once.

keep driving.. it'll eventually figure where it should be.

wabybaby
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane 1.9 dci Dynamique

Re: Fuel problem... Strange one.

Postby wabybaby » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:36 am

Yeah i'd agree keep driving and it'll figure it out. My van does this all the time, if I fill it up from almost empty to full the needle stays in the same position on nearly empty. Then when driving it slowly creeps back up, sometimes it takes ages sometimes minutes.

I'd maybe check it out though if it doesn't move after a few trips or a full re-fill.

Return to “Problems / Questions”