Unbelievable! Let there be lights!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

RussMarc
Passed Theory

Unbelievable! Let there be lights!!!

Postby RussMarc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Something odd is going on.

A couple of weeks back, I started a thread about my car not having any reversing lights working.

I followed the advice given on here by forum members and checked the bulbs, the fuse in the engine compartment and replaced the reversing light switch on the lower left front of the gearbox, needless to say the reversing lights still didn’t work.

Tonight, (2 weeks later) I put the car in reverse and after a second or two the reversing lights suddenly came on?????

I tried putting the car in and out of reverse a couple of times and now each time (at the moment) the lights come on.

I do however have to give the gear lever quite a firm pull to get the lights to come on, but they are now working for the moment.

Anyone got any ideas what’s going on here :conf

When I changed the reversing switch I also gave the car an oil change but it didn’t occur to me that the gearbox might have separate oil. Is this the case and should I be getting the gearbox oil topped up?

Oil did come out with the switch when it was removed, there was about a mug full of oil that came out with the old switch.

I have today checked the engine oil level on the dipstick and the level is fine and the oil is nice and transparent.

Can someone advise me on whether this oil that came out with the switch was engine oil or gearbox oil?

If so where is the oil filler for the gearbox? Will a local garage be able to top this up for me?

Thanks.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Re: Unbelievable! Let there be lights!!!

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:29 am

i had an issue with my reverse lights changed the bulbs but still nothing. took it in to the garage and it was the reverse light switch that was faulty.

didn't have aproblem with the oil tho
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Is the switch position adjustable?
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:42 pm

probably, but then you would have to by-pass the origional...which, knowing Reanult is not going to be in a user friendly place..lol
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

Return to “Problems / Questions”