Idle and Battery Issue

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

LaertesCTB
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II

Idle and Battery Issue

Postby LaertesCTB » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:12 pm

I have a 2003 Renault Megane II, 1.6l.

Lately, I've been having issues with the car, on occasions, it will struggle to idle and after a few seconds will cut out. Iginition still on, I can start the car again, but require heavy attention to the accelerator pedal, as to keep it from cutting out. It normaly idles around 900rpm, but needing to keep the revs at 2000rpm, when at a stop, to prevent cut out.

While driving, it doesn't feel as powerful either.

The strange thing is, this is not all the time. It's been fine for the past 2 weeks. Had the 150,000km service done. No issues. Renault were unabel to find any problems. Then it happened agin yesterday.

The other problem, and it seems directly related. Can guarentee, that if it gives me issues today, tomorrow the car battery will be completely flat, having drained overnight.

I've had an electrical engineer look at it, but doesn't seem to be shorting anywhere,

Any ideas? This has been on and off for the past 2months, and would really like to get this sorted out.

AndyS

Re: Idle and Battery Issue

Postby AndyS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Interesting one! I suppose it's not impossible that an intermittent fault with, say, the alternator could cause these symptoms. Bear in mind that many electrical faults in the Megane are known to be caused by water in the fusebox(es). Sorry I can't be more helpful, but next time it happens, try disconnecting the battery overnight to see whether the battery is still OK in the morning.

snoopdutt1985
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 16V Dynamique in Black

Re: Idle and Battery Issue

Postby snoopdutt1985 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 pm

im having the same battery issues, first of all bought a new battery and tested altenator, all fine!

last a few days, died again, this time blamed on the autoheadlight function, told it would cost £300 to replace this function so just turned it off,

battery taken out of car and fully charged,

lasted another few days, this time blamed on autoheadlight being left on while it was raining.

battery taken out of car and fully charged,

lasted a few more days, this time dash lights up like christmas tree, airbag, service light, and blamed on wiring under the passenger seat.

now the thing is still dying and sometimes doesnt even let me in, if it lets me in it wont let me lock it!!!

let me know how you get on with auto elecs

cheers

Andy
Renault Megane 1.6VVTI Dynamique, Black,

Return to “Problems / Questions”