Reset parking brake fault display

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bluemonkey
Currently Drives:: scenic 1.6 vvt

Reset parking brake fault display

Postby bluemonkey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:33 pm

I recently flattened my scenic battery by deliberatly leaving the lights on and then forgetting to turn them off - Jump started to get going and after that the display reads - check parking brake and there is a P sign and a service shown in orange. There is nothing wrong with the parking brake it works fine so i want to reset the fault display. Holding the button on the stalk does not seem to do it. I have got an ELM327 code reader- when this is hooked up by plugging in to the socket between the front seats I can read engine RPM and other data but no faults are being displayed.- The scan tool software has an option to reset all codes including codes that are not displayed- has anyone ever done this- is it safe to reset? (Or does anyone else know how I can reset the warning message?)

(Please note the electric parking brake over-ride in the boot has not been touched so that is not the answer)

:mrgreen:

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Re: Reset parking brake fault display

Postby Jonault » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:56 am

Check the brake fluid level, also see if the parking brake switch is working. I'm not sure where it is but it must be somewhere around the handbrake lever.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

glennonjd

Postby glennonjd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:00 pm

bluemonkey wrote:I recently flattened my scenic battery by deliberatly leaving the lights on and then forgetting to turn them off - Jump started to get going and after that the display reads - check parking brake and there is a P sign and a service shown in orange. There is nothing wrong with the parking brake it works fine so i want to reset the fault display. Holding the button on the stalk does not seem to do it. I have got an ELM327 code reader- when this is hooked up by plugging in to the socket between the front seats I can read engine RPM and other data but no faults are being displayed.- The scan tool software has an option to reset all codes including codes that are not displayed- has anyone ever done this- is it safe to reset? (Or does anyone else know how I can reset the warning message?)

(Please note the electric parking brake over-ride in the boot has not been touched so that is not the answer)

:mrgreen:
Did you ever fix this bluemonkey?

I have exactly the same cause (flat battery hand brake release) for my Grand Scenic 1.5dci 2004 and the same message "Check Parking Brake" with the "P" symbol. I also want to try the same solution. I have also purchased an ELM327 OBD reader and like you, I can read the engine status and and other diagnostic info BUT, I cannot switch off that pesky warning message.

Is it possible?? Has anyone ever achieved this without an expensive trip to Renault?

As an aside, does anyone know what Renault charge to plug onto their system an reset?

PS - my first post - so hello to everyone. Looks to be a very useful source of info for a car that I love which brings the odd foibles every few months!

Cheers
John

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Try the following:
1. disengage the parking brake
2. disconnect and then connect back the battery
3. try the brake

It is my wild guess, that the car may not expect the command to disengage the brake without engaging it first... It will become an anecdote if true!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

debruinb
Currently Drives:: BMW320D 2006
Scenic ExpresionII 2005

Postby debruinb » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:58 am

Gents, did AlexB's solution work...?? if not what did?? :cry

hardcore
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE DYNAMIQUE 1.5 DCI

Postby hardcore » Sat May 03, 2014 7:28 am

Can clip was how I solved the problem it's quite a good bit of kit. The scenic I bought had the speedo replaced but it wasn't programmed , it needed to be told what type of handbrake was fitted (automatic or manual). When it recognised the automatic parking brake it threw up the service and check parking brake message but clip erased the code. An ordinary scanner won't work. Cheers

wildwood76
Currently Drives:: Scenic Megane 1.5 dci 2005

Postby wildwood76 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:37 pm

I have exactly the same cause (flat battery hand brake release) for my Grand Scenic 1.5dci 2004 and the same message "Check Parking Brake" with the "P" symbol. I also want to try the same solution. I have also purchased an ELM327 OBD reader and like you, I can read the engine status and and other diagnostic info BUT, I cannot switch off that pesky warning message.

Is it possible?? Has anyone ever achieved this without an expensive trip to Renault?

As an aside, does anyone know what Renault charge to plug onto their system an reset?

As an answer to the query above.
I bought my scenic only 4-5 months ago just to get me back on the road and into the system here in Ireland after spending several years in the Philippines. Everything was fine for the first 3 weeks and then the 'check the parking brake' message appeared. I went to my local garage and he didn't want anything to do with it because he said he didn't have the necessary computer link for my car seeing as how it is an 05. I rang the Renault agents, who happen to be more than 60 km away and they advised me that to connect to their diagnostic sytem would cost me 60 euro per hour. I made an appointment and left the car with them. Approximately 1 hour later, they called me to say that they had finished and I could pick the car up. When I arrived, the car had obviously been out of the workshop for well over 30 minutes but I was still charged the full 60 euro, and given a typed report on the cars status. They confirmed that the message was correct and that a replacement unit would be in the region of 875 euro, and that they also noted that my nearside front spring was broken and would cost me 380 euro to replace.
Needless to say, I bought the spring from a local car spares company which cost me 50 euro and I borrowed a spring compressor and fixed the job in under an hour.
I haven't as yet removed the warning message but after reading one of the messages on this board I may well buy the 'can clip' and hope that it will do the same for me as it did for him.
wildwood76

Return to “Problems / Questions”