DCi 106 2 year report and goodbye

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

30something
Learner Driver

DCi 106 2 year report and goodbye

Postby 30something » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Well the Megane has gone after 2 years and 23,000 miles, actually a year earlier than planned because a bigger car is needed.

Overall the meggie has been an excellent car, the 1.5DCi 106 is an amazing blend of performance, economy, refinement and low tax that was ahead of the other manufacturers at the time. It is pretty satisfying to be travelling along the motorway, 4 up + luggage in hushed comfort whilst doing 60+mpg.

Reliability has been good, the car has not let me down, the engine has not missed a beat. I have had one window regulator fail, the instrument lights have played up a few times. The only issue which was never solved to my satisfaction was a knock from the front suspension, one dealer changed a track rod end which stopped it for a while, the next dealer could not find a problem so I left it to the next service which I never reached, so maybe the next owner will be able to get it sorted!

Aircon seemed a bit underpowered in the really hot weather, on the plus side though it did not seem to effect the economy when in use.

Generally very easy to drive except for one trait - a very strong 'anti stall' function that at times accelerates you forward forcing you to dip the clutch early, very strange.

Good equipment levels, good stereo, one shot on all four windows is a nice touch.

Seat comfort is ok, high driving position but plenty of adjustment .

Costs:

Average economy over 23k has been 53mpg.
1 Service £165
2 tyres £180 (car came with Contis, they are soft!)
2 years road tax £70

I'm Mondeo man now, did look at the new Laguna but I don't like the styling at all :(

Cya!

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: DCi 106 2 year report and goodbye

Postby Stranger » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Good report, cheers.

My other half is on her 3rd Modus 1.5 dCi albeit the 86, and both of us are delighted with everything about the car. The only criticism I have is the wear rate of the Conti's.

Agree with you about the new laguna. I do not like the styling at all, the back end is awful, the estate however, is quite nice though that'll mainly be due to it having a different back end :lol:

Mondeo, hmmmmm, now the new one looks biiiiiiiiiiig, how are you doing with it?
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:01 pm

i agree with the Contis issue, i had to change the front 2 after only 8k on my old clio dci 100.
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

terry_mccann
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane SportsTourer 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)
My gallery: http://meganeboard.de/viewtopic.php?t=3437&start=0

Postby terry_mccann » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:52 pm

DCI 106 is by far the best engine.....especially with it sporting the 6 speed gearbox....
Megane Grandtour 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)
My gallery: http://meganeboard.de/viewtopic.php?t=3437&start=0

Return to “Problems / Questions”