rattle when turning at low speed

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sproket
Passed Theory

rattle when turning at low speed

Postby sproket » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi there i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.

Any time that i turn either left or right i get a rattle that sounds metallic. i thought that it was a stone caught in the wheel but i checked it and there is nothing there, i cant see anything out of place but if there is any suggestions on what to check and try i would realy appreciate it.

Thanks

Ally

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: rattle when turning at low speed

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:44 pm

you don't have any loose items in the door pockets do you like CD's etc?

sproket
Passed Theory

Postby sproket » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Ray

No I checked that everything is out of every compartment in the car. Also I checked that this noise wasn't coming form the heater also. I have switched everything off and I hear it every time I turn at a junction. the only thing that I could describe it to is like a kid with a card in the spokes of his bike( we all did that when we were young). the strange thing is that there is no noise when I am going in a straight line, or when I am turning at more speed.
:?

thanks

ally

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Is it outside the vehicle?

Have the front pads been replaced recently, if so are the anti rattle clips still in place? I have seen this many times before with "aftermarket" pads. They don't come with new springs. So the "mechanic" removes the old springs thinking that they are obviously not required. Fits the pads, then the rattling appears..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

sproket
Passed Theory

Postby sproket » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:54 am

Hi webcode

yes the rattle is form outside the car, I have not had the front pads replaces as it was not needed for the mot/service as they were fine but the mechanic did take them out to have a look at them. I was wondering if it could be coming form the steering as it is only happening when I am turning corners, it dose go away as soon as you have turned the corner or as soon as you speed up. I will get the mechanic to have a look at the front pads, as we had a problem when replacing the rear disks with the abs ring since it looks like a part of the disc. I don't know if it helps but it sounds like a knocking type sound, I will try and get a sound byte of the noise in case that helps anyone in the future once I get this fixed.

thanks

Ally :?

Return to “Problems / Questions”