Dreaded Dephaser Pulley has caught me....

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

simondb31

Dreaded Dephaser Pulley has caught me....

Postby simondb31 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:32 am

Morning

Well, it's finallly happened - the dephaser pulley on my 1.6 vvt needs replacing :(

I've had hell on with my Megane for the past few months. Had 36,000(ish) miles service done with MOT and needed all 4 ignition coils replacing and an oil leak cleaning and tidying up. £440 later car was back on the road.

Engine management light came on a few months later and took car back to Nationwide, hoping it was something wrong with their repairs from before and it'd be done free! They hooked it up to diagnostics and 'cam sensor' problem was detected - ok, so they changed the cam sensor (£90). Did a test drive and checked the code again etc and all was cleared.

Next day driving to work the light came on again :mad

Took it back to them and same cam sensor problem was found on diagnostic machine - they then turned into a right bunch of useless divs and couldn't tell me anything else it might be but tried suggesting cam belt, (car is '04 now with about 39,000 on clock). Told them I'd look elsewhere.

A local, small, independant garage, (Gary Potts, Durham), have hooked it up to their machine and straight away got a proper reading which comes down to dephaser pulley. Guy reckons about £450-£500 all in.

I'm gonna go back to Nationwide and complain that they're diagnostics machines are obviously rubbish and they need to shell out a few more quid on better kit. Oh, and give me my £90 back you morons.

So couple of questions:

1. What's the average going rate for sorting out a dephaser problem?
2. Is there anything I should double check the mechanic changes whilst he's in there, (water pump etc)?
3. Is there anything Renault do about contributing towards the cost of repairs for these problems? From looking at other postings on the forums I believe they're aware of the headache their cars cause us 1.6 vvt owners?

I love the car to bits, I really do, but I won't hold back in saying I'll be happy to see the back of the bloody thing when it goes on Autotrader as soon as it comes back fixed, (subject to it selling of course!).

War and Peace 2008, DONE.

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Re: Dreaded Dephaser Pulley has caught me....

Postby chevin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:20 am

Try £ 584, which included timing belt as Renault advise that it should be done.

As for Renault themselves -try through their website. They will claim no responsibility. Mine went at 26,000 - 4 months out of warranty and I know some on here have had £'s contributions.

My next step is to get an "official" response from my local dealer. I'm considering taking them to the small claims court, as under the Sale of Goods Act this can be classed as a manufacturing defect and the seller has to put it right at his cost. This forum notes so many of the 03 - 04 cars suffer this fate and therefore some thing fundamental is wrong.

Can confirm as soon as I can afford it, this pile of junk (as I've previously noted) will be going - unfortunately I also have a 2006 cc !

meganecc
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane CC in black 1.6vvti, not long had it but so far so good,

Re: Dreaded Dephaser Pulley has caught me....

Postby meganecc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:36 pm

guess what mine has just been replaced i have to go and collect the car tomorow

it too is also on 26,000miles and manafacture warrenty ran out in march !!

lucky for me i took extended warrenty out so didnt cost me a penny , it has taken them 3months to find the problem but yet only 2days to repair it , and ive got a FREE cambelt change

Return to “Problems / Questions”