Help Needed!!! Water Leak!!! Urgent!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Renaultshearer7
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci

Help Needed!!! Water Leak!!! Urgent!!!

Postby Renaultshearer7 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi, can anyone help me please, my 2004 renault megane 1.9dci hatchback is leaking heavily in the drivers side footwell. I first reconised the problem 6 months ago, and a garage cleaned my drainage system out, but the problem still occurs, its that high now that any more water now would leak into the car where my pedals are.

Does anyone know where its coming from as i've heard it leaks through the sunroof but i dont have a sunroof, other ones are that it leaks in from the rear boot (Possible)

So can anyone advise me please as its getting pretty serious now!!!

Thanks
Daniel Shearer

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Re: Help Needed!!! Water Leak!!! Urgent!!!

Postby Deano16v » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:20 pm

the doors are a common leak point as is the bottom of the windscreen. have you checked all your seals?
DCi 120 for sale, 52,000 miles, £3250 ono

Axonic
Currently Drives:: Mégane 1.4 16v Dynamique (2003)

Postby Axonic » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Renaultshearer7 wrote:Hi, can anyone help me please, my 2004 renault megane 1.9dci hatchback is leaking heavily in the drivers side footwell. I first reconised the problem 6 months ago, and a garage cleaned my drainage system out, but the problem still occurs, its that high now that any more water now would leak into the car where my pedals are.

Does anyone know where its coming from as i've heard it leaks through the sunroof but i dont have a sunroof, other ones are that it leaks in from the rear boot (Possible)

Hi everyone, I have exactly the same problem, I first noticed it when getting the manual pack out of the storage box, it was very soggy!

When it's really bad, we can hear water sloshing around somewhere underneath the floor (in the middle, rather than the sides, i.e. not from the sills).

Renaultshearer7

Postby Renaultshearer7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:43 am

Hi,

I cleaned out the scuttle pipes 4 days ago... but water is still flowing into the cubby hole in the footwell, so i am not sure where its coming from. One thing i have realised is that when i open the front drivers and passengers door, loads of water pours out of the door, looks like its getting trapped in the door pocket, and i would say about a litre of water drains away.

So could it be a door seal as i cant see how water from a door can get into a footwell.

I dont here water sloshing either, which some people have claimed can happen!

One thought is that the water in my footwell could be the remaining water left behind and is trapped, but i have drained the footwell 6/7 times and water still keeps coming in!!!

Also the water that collects in the footwell, seems to be normal rainwater as it has no smell to it, because when i cleaned out the scuttle pipes under the front window and wipers i washed it through with soapy water... but no soapy water has ever appeared in in my footwell (interesting)

This has really confused me know as i am not sure where its coming from, its booked in the garage on thursday, but they werent sure where its coming from last time.

So any help on here would be greatly appreciated!!!!

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:22 am

If you have loads of water comming out of the doors when you open them then that's the problem...it should be draining without having to open the doors...it's then probably building up and getting in via the speaker holes.

Renaultshearer7

Postby Renaultshearer7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi, Markren2004

Hi just read your feedback, and i was wondering how would the water from the speaker holes, get into the footwell, as i havent had the problem with water in my my speakers, though i'm not sure how to check them.

But i could be the door seals going which is probably as water is draining from the door when its opened, but i cant see how that can get into my footwells as i cant see where the water is flowing from

dcr226
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 VVTi Expression Estate 2006/56

Postby dcr226 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 pm

I know this thread is a bit old but I had this same issue last weekend..firstly there was a water sloshing sound when going round corners..then eventually it started leaking into the footwell (presumably from the blower piperwork??)

Either way, I fixed it by removing the wipers and scuttle panel and cleaning all the leaves and debris from inside, then cleared the two drains from crud.

If it helps anyone in the future, I took photos of every step and documented it here http://www.ultracars.co.uk/renault-megane-water-sloshing/

Hope this helps others to solve it :)

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:48 am

great write up and great photos showing the problem
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

dcr226
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 VVTi Expression Estate 2006/56

Postby dcr226 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 am

freelanderuk wrote:great write up and great photos showing the problem

Thanks!

I'm servicing it next week so will hopefully have another writeup. :lol:

volestrangler
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 Privilege 5 Door

Postby volestrangler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 pm

I have had this issue a few times, what I found was water collecting in the rubber tray that the aircon unit sits on behind the center console, this was due to the drain tube being blocked. this tray collects air con condensate and is supposed to drain underneath the car.

In the summer the aircon creates a lot of condensate, and I have had very wet carpets, especially in the little cubbyholes on both driver and passenger footwells.

In the winter - recently I have had the AC on also as this helps with the demisting, in the recent wet weather we have had - this has been quite often and only the other day I noticed a 'damp' smell in the car and hey presto the carpets were wet.
If you pull off the drivers side plastic access panel on the center console in the footwell, this is what you have to do to replace the pollen filter too, you can slip your hand under the AC unit and feel the rubber tray, you can also feel the part where the drain tube goes down and in my case - prodding it a few times cleared the blockage.

The exchanger part of the AC can get very hot and when driving, any water in rolling about that comes into contact with it can make a hissing / sizzling sound.

If you have a Haynes manual, you can see the drain tube I describe.

Sgard
Currently Drives:: Megane 225 sport

Postby Sgard » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:44 pm

volestrangler wrote:I have had this issue a few times, what I found was water collecting in the rubber tray that the aircon unit sits on behind the center console, this was due to the drain tube being blocked. this tray collects air con condensate and is supposed to drain underneath the car.

In the summer the aircon creates a lot of condensate, and I have had very wet carpets, especially in the little cubbyholes on both driver and passenger footwells.

In the winter - recently I have had the AC on also as this helps with the demisting, in the recent wet weather we have had - this has been quite often and only the other day I noticed a 'damp' smell in the car and hey presto the carpets were wet.
If you pull off the drivers side plastic access panel on the center console in the footwell, this is what you have to do to replace the pollen filter too, you can slip your hand under the AC unit and feel the rubber tray, you can also feel the part where the drain tube goes down and in my case - prodding it a few times cleared the blockage.

The exchanger part of the AC can get very hot and when driving, any water in rolling about that comes into contact with it can make a hissing / sizzling sound.

If you have a Haynes manual, you can see the drain tube I describe.

Hi,

I'm having this same issue at the moment, can you tell me how to remove the the rubber drainage pipe so that I can remove the drip tray and clean it out. I don't want to force it and damage it.

Return to “Problems / Questions”