1.5 dci check injection cut out and wont start help

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

shelldaz
Currently Drives:: renault scenic 1.5 dci 2004

1.5 dci check injection cut out and wont start help

Postby shelldaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 pm

hi there this morning i was traveling along the motorway and my car spluttered and on the dash "check injection message appeared" smoke came out of the back so i pulled off the motorway and the car stalls, wont fire up, called the aa and he says its a fuel problem maybe i have put petrol in the tank by mistake,
i insisted i hadnt so after he towed me home i drained the fuel from the tank and the fuel pump just to be safe, and it was diesel in the tank.
i refilled with fresh fuel and tried to start it, now the check injection light doesnt come on but the car tries to fire up but it wont start , could i have an air blockage in the injectors ? or is thee something else?
any help appreciated,
thanks in advance.
darren

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Re: 1.5 dci check injection cut out and wont start help

Postby dry_flood » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Have you pumped the fuel through?

if you look at the picure below you will see a black priming bulb. Keep squeezing this to fill the fuel filter with diesel. This is the fuel line that feeds direct from the tank to the filter. Does it have air or fuel in it?

The fuel filter is placed in the drivers side wheel arch. If you follow the pipe to the filter you will see two other pipes coming from the filter to the injector pump.

This is a close up of the injector pump. Check the pipe with the green plastic clip for air. Does it have fuel in it?

If this pipe has no fuel in it and you have primed the system & tried starting a couple of times then I would say that it is worth changing the fuel filter as it could be blocked or suffering from air ingress(common problem). If you choose to change it then you have to remove the wheel & arch liner to get to it.
I would also cut open the old filter to check for metal filings. If you find any then your injector pump has packed in and littered your fuel system with metal. Just cost me £1600 to flush the system, buy and fit a new pump & 4 new injectors.

Have you had a diagnostic done on it? If so what were the error codes?
Gaz

shelldaz

Postby shelldaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:13 pm

hi thanks for your response, i had pumped the fuel through already and the fuel is in the pipes, however i have got it to try to fire up but its like fuel has air block or something, do you have to bleed the injectors too?
just forked out £800 on a new dashboard cluster and i really can not afford to fork out again so any help greatly appreciated, as for the error codes the aa man said it was coming on his diagnostic machine as check injection,
kind regards
darren
p.s do you have to have the injectors reprogrammed to the car?

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Shelldaz

Yes the injectors have to be programmed to the car. Each injector has a serial number stamped on the side which must be programmed into the ecu. If you have replaced the injectors this could be a reason for it not starting. Although mine would start but ran very rough until they were programmed. It cost me £40 to have them coded.

I'm sure somone will correct me if I am wrong but I am positive that the dci engines are self bleeding?

It sounds like the AA man told you what the error code related too but didnt give you the actual code number which isnt very helpful.

shelldaz

Postby shelldaz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 pm

just an update,
i havent replaced the injectors but spent the morning trying to fire it up without success again , it was trying to start but just wouldnt go .
i have had it towed to our nearest renault dealer who is going to put it on a diagnostic machine for £75 plus vat
just wondering depending on the outcome if any one could reccomend somewere to buy recon parts , maybe fuel pump or injectors? also are these difficult to fit.
any help appreciated
regards
darren

2 days later still no news from renault as to whats wrong with the car,

Return to “Problems / Questions”