the sound of flowing water

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ANDI
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci Expression 52 and my girlfriend drives a 55 1.4 16v oasis

the sound of flowing water

Postby ANDI » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:51 pm

after heavy rain,or after washing the car,when i next drive it and go round roundabouts or tight corners i am getting the sound of flowing water,i am wondering if this water is getting into the scuttle panel below windscreen,has anybody got the same problem, ideas on how to solve the problem and a cure, plus do all the plastic bits come off easily if this is the problem??? help, its like drivng the chinese water torture,

Andiman

ps i know i could turn the radio up,but i would like to cure it!
Andiman

A13XDT
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 54 Plate Megane Dci 86 Rush - Platinum Silver

Re: the sound of flowing water

Postby A13XDT » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:02 pm

Look at the speaker panels in the fron doors. They come off by pulling from the door hinge side (gently) and then there is a tab that goes behind the cloth part.
Lots of water gets in behind there, but generally fills the door pockets i think. Loads of people complained about it. Its part of Renaults design.
Im sure someone on here will come back with more information though.
Hope this helps.
Alex

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:35 am

ANDI wrote: am wondering if this water is getting into the scuttle panel below windscreen

yes, you'll have to take off the plastic bits and you'll find a pool of water, you'll need to unblock the drains.
not done it myself so not entirely sure how it it all comes apart, i think you have to take the wipers off, plastic end bits off first and then pull away the panel.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:32 pm

The drain under the scuttle panel below windscreen is blocked. As the car is not flooded yet, then it is on one side only -- the side where the panel is not solid.

Don't remove the panel -- it is not easy. Get a piece of stiff insulated wire 3mm in diameter and about 20cm length. Poke the drain through the grid of the plastic panel on the left side (it will be on your right when facing the car). Then pour some soapy warm water in (I used some liquid detergent for wool fabrics).
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

ANDI
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci Expression 52 and my girlfriend drives a 55 1.4 16v oasis

Postby ANDI » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:26 pm

thanks guys,have day off tommorrow will attempt to sort out and return a reply
Andiman
Andiman

ANDI
Passed Theory

Postby ANDI » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:01 pm

well thanks guys,
lifted bonnet and there are two screw clips on the passenger side of the bulk head,i undid those and managed to get my hand and a hose into the bulkhead and let the hose run for a few minutes,and the amount of dead foliage that came out,looked most like compost,alan titmush would have been proud of me.

thanks alot,no more chinese water torture :dance :cool:
Andiman

Renaultshearer7
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci

Postby Renaultshearer7 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi, i had the same problem... i cleaned out both scuttle pipes, both drivers and passengers as i had water in both footwells (Cubby Holes)
Cleaned them out and dryed them, and 30 mins later after it rained both footwells had water in them, again!!!

So what can i do, i have tried your solution to this but it looks like it doesnt work.

You mentioned about door pockets leaking... i dont have this problem i think, but could the water seals around the doors also leak into the footwells too.

Any help would be great thanks!!!!!!!!

ANDI
Passed Theory

Postby ANDI » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:11 pm

sorry renaultshearer cant help with your problem,my 52 15dci is now "puddle" free,no water at the mo slooshing around my bulkhead and i definatly do not have any inside the car anywhere,so at the moment cant help,but if i gain any info i will post it here :life
Andiman

Renaultshearer7
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci

Postby Renaultshearer7 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi, again..
i cleaned the pipes but you mentioned about clearing the bulk head, i dont mean to sound stupid... i know the drainage pipes run down in the bulk head but is there any way of actually clecking behind my bulk head

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Renaultshearer7 wrote:Hi, i had the same problem... i cleaned out both scuttle pipes, both drivers and passengers as i had water in both footwells (Cubby Holes)
Cleaned them out and dryed them, and 30 mins later after it rained both footwells had water in them, again!!!

So what can i do, i have tried your solution to this but it looks like it doesnt work.

You mentioned about door pockets leaking... i dont have this problem i think, but could the water seals around the doors also leak into the footwells too.

Any help would be great thanks!!!!!!!!

i had the same problems as you`re having now. at the time i did`nt believe (still don`t) that a blocked drain channel should be letting water into the interior as the `stored`water on the bulkhead is still on the outside of the car`s interior.
i did post a lengthy message about it at the time,so it would be worth checking through my posts (sorry not sure how to post the link for you, maybe someone could help out here ;-) ;-) i did cure it btw.
maybe worth removing both front roof pillar trims to check for wetness too, mine was,due to a replacement screen not being sealed properly. there were also other water ingress issues too so find my post if you can.
it was in ownership probs,and i think the heading was `water in footwells`
hope it helps.

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:13 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:Do you mean this one? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7259&p=49258#p49258

how quick was that :eek
that`s the one,thanks :cool:
although i did think it was a bit more informative than that,although i still think it makes sense.

Return to “Problems / Questions”