Dephaser pulley diagram

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Dephaser pulley diagram

Postby AlexB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Posting this just in case...
I guess you've got the cam locking tool and the TDC locating tool. The pulley is free wheeling, so you will need those. The torque values are in the manual (PDF files in our Links). Good luck!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

MONDO9
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 VVT Dynamique 2003

Postby MONDO9 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:40 am

Cheers AlexB, I got the timing tools from Ebay.

Well thats it, dephaser and timing belt changed....car started first time, no noise and continues to do so. :D

The pulley and belt change itself is not hard to do, if you have the timing tools! The majority of the time was spent stripping the car down and trying to gain access!!!!!
I started the job at 10am and started the car at 6.30pm but that included breakfast, lunch and dinner breaks.

If you are going to tackle this, remember and mark the position of the dephaser timing mark to the cylinder head, very easy to be a tooth out either direction!

Would I do the job again...yes. Now I know what to do it would'nt be half as scary 2nd time around. Especially since it has saved me in region of £600.

If anyone has any questions about this job, please ask and I'll answer as best I can.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread from the start. Extremely useful information was given to help me understand the problem.

Cheers

paulgoldsmith2
Currently Drives:: Meganne 1.6 VVT

Postby paulgoldsmith2 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:09 pm

When this is clearly a major issue why haven't Renault recalled all models affected? I've had my changed once whilst under guarantee but now 18 months later, and out of guarantee, it's gone again!! This car is just a pile of rubbish and can't wait to get rid of it!! Last time I buy a Renault.

jlgandy

Postby jlgandy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:44 pm

paulgoldsmith2 wrote:When this is clearly a major issue why haven't Renault recalled all models affected? I've had my changed once whilst under guarantee but now 18 months later, and out of guarantee, it's gone again!! This car is just a pile of rubbish and can't wait to get rid of it!! Last time I buy a Renault.

lm having same prob with my car going have go replacing shortly what load rubbish these are.

garethpye

Postby garethpye » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:42 pm

hi, all you renault owners out their, my renault scenic 1.6 has also had the dephaser fault which is now fixed at a cost to me of £600. I have kept the faulty part that was replaced by renault and took all details of repair. I am looking at taking them to the small claims court which costs approx £40 to start proceedings. The guy at the renault dealershipship confirmed the part was faulty, but said renault only tested the defective part if it was under warranty, otherwise it goes in the bin. Well done renault, who cares if parts are defective when out of warranty, the story tells it all (renault rip off). Would advice anyone suffering from being out of pocket from the faulty dephaser pully to do as I am, also contact watchdog, you can tell your story online at www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/
Power in numbers, watchdog have already shamed renault into reinbursing people for the digital dash display fault, you can claim anything paid over £100 with a receipt. Please make a stand, dont let them get a way with it, complain, sue them and dont buy another renault. :banghead

Handyosprey

Postby Handyosprey » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:51 am

Any news on the watchdog plan , the same pulley problem has occurred with my scenic 1.6 16v vvt . Its a 54 plate with 34000 miles . I have mentioned the watchdog route on the renaultforums site as well . Maybe we should club together and give renault a bloody nose over this fault , which after reading posts here seems to be an inherant design error .

ElCid
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 VVT Estate 2006

Postby ElCid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:06 am

So the dephaser pulley was re-designed in mid/late 2006. Will a dephaser from a 2007 fit my early 2006 Megane.
They have a scapper in my local yard, with low mileage, and if its a 2007 - it should be ok.
Did the modification work?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 am

I think, all versions must be compatible, some are just better designed internally than the others. There is also a dephaser control solenoid valve, which is essential for the dephaser operation. It makes sense to check/replace it as well.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

ElCid
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 VVT Estate 2006

Postby ElCid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 pm

""by AlexB » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 am
I think, all versions must be compatible, some are just better designed internally than the others. There is also a dephaser control solenoid valve, which is essential for the dephaser operation. It makes sense to check/replace it as well.""

I have read about the solenoid, but I havnt seen it mentioned in the replacement kits. Any idea how much?
But isnt the problem which has caused all the fuss an oil issue, so not the solenoid.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

If you can get it from the breakers cheap, then go for it. Otherwise, just change the pulley and see...
Change the oil/filter, BTW. If suspecting oil failure, then run on an ester-based oil for a season; it will make the internals of the engine shining clean.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Fryphone
Currently Drives:: Grand scenic 1.6

Postby Fryphone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Hey mondo,
I know this post is from a LOOKONG time ago but it’s worth a try. When you changed the rephrased pulley was it just the cog you changed or the cog and the center bolt/bearing thing?? I’m having the same problem and have had this car since new it has 67k miles now and is still in great condition so don’t really want to get rid or pay a silly amount to get it fixed. Any help would be very appreciated thank you.

MONDO9 wrote:Cheers AlexB, I got the timing tools from Ebay.

Well thats it, dephaser and timing belt changed....car started first time, no noise and continues to do so. :D

The pulley and belt change itself is not hard to do, if you have the timing tools! The majority of the time was spent stripping the car down and trying to gain access!!!!!
I started the job at 10am and started the car at 6.30pm but that included breakfast, lunch and dinner breaks.

If you are going to tackle this, remember and mark the position of the dephaser timing mark to the cylinder head, very easy to be a tooth out either direction!

Would I do the job again...yes. Now I know what to do it would'nt be half as scary 2nd time around. Especially since it has saved me in region of £600.

If anyone has any questions about this job, please ask and I'll answer as best I can.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread from the start. Extremely useful information was given to help me understand the problem.

Cheers

Pappi
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane II 1,6 -05

Postby Pappi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:25 am

MONDO9 wrote:Cheers AlexB, I got the timing tools from Ebay.

Cheers

Hello Mondo. I'm taking a chance to ask you in this old thread. Did the dephaser rattle ever appear again?

Return to “Problems / Questions”